'Ask a native speaker' thread
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

RE: 'Ask a native speaker' thread
(2016 May 24 19:59)Osweo Wrote:  
(2016 May 24 19:06)Hrabia Wrote:  Bellamy's salute, who created it at the end of 19th century
Seems hard to believe that Mussolini and Prima de Rivera would have adopted it in that case, though not impossible, I suppose.

Necromancing: as I understand it, the "Roman salute" was invented in theatre and the arts in depictions of ancient Rome. It was then adopted by proto-fascists like D'Annunzio and then by the actual fascists. The Bellamy salute also seems to trace it's origin to the theatre. I also recall hearing that Croatian nationalist used it already in the 19th century?

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2017 May 18 13:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (18-05-2017), Osweo (18-05-2017)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

The Roman Salute. Cinema, History, Ideology by Martin M. Winkler

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/hand...ook4CD.pdf

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
2017 May 18 20:27
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes W. R.'s post:
Artturi (19-05-2017)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

Queen Elizabeth II is [a/the?] monarch of the Great Britain.

What [an?] interesting news!

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.

2017 Dec 28 21:15
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo

England

(2017 Dec 28 21:15)W. R. Wrote:  Queen Elizabeth II is [a/the?] monarch of the Great Britain.

What [an?] interesting news!

Queen Elizabeth II is THE monarch of _____ (!) Great Britain (unfortunately).

What _____ interesting news!

Don't forget the ZERO ARTICLE option! News is always plural anyway.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2017 Dec 31 21:02
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Osweo's post:
W. R. (31-12-2017)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

How come there are two ways to spell Weissruthenien/Weißruthenien? Is there no difference?

[Image: 29gblp1.jpg]

2018 Mar 20 20:39
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo (26-03-2018)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

According to current grammar rules, you always use "ß" for a mute "s" that follows a diphthong (ei, au etc.). So, presently Weißruthenien would always be correct. Apparently, the colour "white" used to be written as "weiss" according to some old spelling rules. I can't tell you when the change occured.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2018 Mar 21 10:47
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Temnozor's post:
Osweo (26-03-2018), W. R. (21-03-2018)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

I am interested in the culture of using thesauri. It seems to be something common in the Anglosphere, is it not? Does this culture exist outside the Anglosphere? Is it advised to use thesauri to enhance your writings? Is it normal?

2018 Jun 10 22:22
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Zephyr (14-06-2018)
Osweo

England

(2018 Jun 10 22:22)W. R. Wrote:  thesauri
I don't recall ever seeing one in Russia. Do they exist? Nor have I seen one in Spain.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2018 Jun 13 21:32
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Osweo's post:
W. R. (17-06-2018), Zephyr (14-06-2018)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2018 Jun 13 21:32)Osweo Wrote:  I don't recall ever seeing one in Russia. Do they exist? Nor have I seen one in Spain.

I own a dictionary of synonyms. There are extended dictionaries, that also include antonyms, homonyms, paronyms etc. But I can’t know whether such dictionaries can be called “thesauri” because I have never held an English one in my hands, so I can’t compare.

I used an electronic dictionary of synonyms when I needed to find a way to get rid of lexical repetitions in texts. Sometimes it helped, sometimes it did not.

2018 Jun 17 18:38
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo (06-07-2018)
Osweo

England

(2018 Jun 17 18:38)W. R. Wrote:  a dictionary of synonyms
More or less the same things, though a thesaurus can employ some interesting ways of grouping words and ideas. Largely obsolete in the Internet age, though I still have one here on my desk.

I came to ask about this, really:
Асецішча трансліт.: Asiecišča, руск.: Осетище
An old settlement of Ossets in the White Ruthene?! Tongue What's the name about?

Thomas Carlyle
2018 Jul 06 15:54
Like PostLIKE REPLY