You've Been Trumped!
Treffie

Cymru

You've Been Trumped!
That odious creature, Donald Trump in his battle with Scottish locals in building a links gold course in an area of Special Scientific Interest in Aberdeenshire. There is a 1.5 hour documentary available if you can find it, but even with this clip attached if you hate this man already, you will now feel absolute revulsion. It also brings into question the integrity of the Scottish leader, Alex Salmond (SNP) and the local police force.

Quote:‘We’ve saved the dunes, and from an environmental stand point it’s a much better situation than it was before we bought the site,’ claimed Donald Trump, hair blowing in the stiff northerly breeze at a news conference in 2010, on the sand dunes of the Menie Estate in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

The billionaire was busy announcing detailed plans to build a luxury golf resort on one of Europe’s last remaining coastal wilderness areas: a rare and shifting series of sand dunes north of Aberdeen. He had been given permission to do so, by Scotland’s Government led by Alex Salmond.

What was a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) was now to be turned over for an enormous development for wealthy golfers consisting of a skyscraper hotel, 1,500 houses and hundreds of golf villas. Six thousand jobs were promised. And now Mr Trump was explaining how he was bolting down the dunes with marram grass, so they would not move and shift in the unforgiving Scottish wind.

After 15 years of working as a journalist for the BBC, ITN and other broadcasters, I moved from London to my late mother’s home town in Montrose, Angus – 50 miles south of the land earmarked for Mr Trump’s golf resort. One of my first documentaries was for BBC Radio 4’s Face the Facts about the destruction of our town’s once beautiful sand dunes, due to deep water dredging of the town’s port, and the local authority’s failure to do anything about it. That was how I became interested in the rare dunes further up the coast that had been purchased by Mr Trump. I was astonished to read in Aberdeen’s newspapers the Trump course would ‘put Scotland on the map for golf’ – despite the fact the country is the birthplace of golf, and stuffed full of historic courses, (and needs a new one about as much as Seattle needs another branch of Starbucks).

Aberdeen’s powerful Press and Journal and Evening Express newspapers apparently failed to question the environmental impact of Mr Trump’s development. But my own journalistic instinct was overpowering, and I felt a desire to get to the truth. Denied funding by executives in Scotland and elsewhere, I was left with no option – I remortgaged my home.

I began work, by speaking with the local residents and filming the tycoon’s visit to Aberdeenshire in 2010. Mr Trump had publicly said local resident and farmer Michael Forbes lived like ‘a pig’ and slated his home as a ‘slum.’ But Aberdeen’s newspapers had more pressing questions for the billionaire. ‘Is this turning out better than you’d imagined?’ ‘It’s better than I could have hoped in my wildest dreams,’ replied Mr Trump. And later on the dunes, ‘Is my hair OK? Give me a mirror.’ The words ‘please’ or ‘thank you’ were never recorded on my camera’s microphone that day. This was clearly a man used to getting his way. And it appeared to me, Mr Trump was determined to flatten anything standing in his path.

Shortly after the bulldozers moved in to destroy the Menie Estate dunes, we discovered Mr Trump’s workers had cut off the water supply to 86-year-old Molly Forbes – Michael’s elderly mother – for nearly a week, and so my Producer Richard Phinney and I went to interview Mr Trump’s chief greenkeeper who also doubled as head of building works.

After the interview, Richard and I were both suddenly arrested on the property of another local resident – Susan Munro. We were then driven miles to Aberdeen, banged up in separate prison cells for several hours and stripped of our possessions. DNA, fingerprints and photos were all taken and camera equipment and footage impounded. We were both charged with ‘a breach of the peace’ a criminal offence which you can go to jail for in Scotland.

The National Union of Journalists was furious and called our arrest ‘a blatant example of police interference stopping bona fide journalists from doing their job.’ The criminal charges were eventually thrown out by the Crown Office. But my arrest was a turning point, in what had become an extraordinary journey. I was now unwittingly part of a deeply disturbing and troubling story. And what had begun as an exercise to purely document what was happening, had now become a feature film – and I was in it.

The broadcast of You’ve Been Trumped on BBC Two this Sunday is a landmark event for the families on the Menie Estate. Donald Trump has called You’ve Been Trumped ‘a failure’ and the local residents featured in the film have been branded ‘a national embarrassment for Scotland’. But they have inspired sold out cinema audiences around the world with their extraordinary dignity, and determination to stand up for Scotland’s environment and our planet. These Local Heroes are not impressed or blinded by celebrity, money or power. To them, (and in the immortal words of resident Susan Munro in the film), Donald Trump is just a man with “a bit of a name” and “a few pounds they reckon in his pocket”.

Link to article and clip of documentary
2012 Oct 21 23:57
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 6 users Like Treffie's post:
Aemma (30-10-2012), Artturi (17-11-2015), Eldritch (26-10-2012), Heretik (22-10-2012), Osweo (22-10-2012), Zephyr (22-10-2012)
Zephyr
Away
Bots, bots everywhere.
Supervision

Portugal

RE: You've Been Trumped!
For a moment I thought this article was about Judd Trump defeating Sullivan in some tournament! Big Grin

[Image: m8Qubx3.jpg]

Jeff Hanneman 1964-2013
João Ribas 1965-2014
Lemmy Kilmister 1945-2015
2012 Oct 22 04:24
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

The Donald trumps even himself for idiocy

Billionaire finally launches his 'devastating' bombshell; Romnesia and the Obamastare; and Lindsay Lohan is the undecided

Possibly the least credible statement in the election campaign so far – and that's an extremely crowded field – appeared on the Facebook page of angry multimillionaire and windfarm-hating germophobe Donald Trump, in advance of what he promised would be a gamechanging "October Surprise" revelation about Barack Obama. "This is not a media event or about Donald J Trump," he wrote – a claim that, if true, would have made it unique in his professional career. "This is about the United States of America." Oh, but it very much was about Donald J Trump – and far from being a gamechanging revelation, the much reported revelation, when it finally came, wasn't even a revelation. It was a two-and-three-quarter-minute YouTube video in which the mogul, sitting behind a desk and seemingly channelling the spirit of a Bond villain, offered Obama "a deal I don't believe he can refuse."

It was this: "If Obama opens up and gives his college records and applications, and if he gives his passport applications and record, I will give to a charity of his choice … a cheque, immediately, for $5m (£3.1m)." And so the political media slunk away, feeling soiled that they'd let Trump manipulate them so easily, and swearing not to be so gullible again. After all, they'd already fallen for an earlier alleged "October Surprise", when a website with the address Octsurprise.com appeared online, displaying a countdown clock and promising a devastating scoop, only to fizzle out in a lame joke. They weren't about to let that happen a third time. Besides, there was an important story to cover: the celebrity feminist lawyer Gloria Allred, Trump's opposite in almost every sense except in her enthusiasm for self promotion, announced that she'd soon be revealing material damaging to Mitt Romney. It was rumoured to concern testimony he'd given in the 1990s divorce case between the founder of Staples, in which Romney's Bain Capital had invested, and his wife. Could this be the long awaited October Surprise? It's about time we had one of them.

read on

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2012 Oct 25 12:13
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Phlegethon's post:
Aemma (30-10-2012), Osweo (25-10-2012)
Graham

Scotland - Alba

It's a total disgrace what has happened. Trump could never be trusted. He's still a GlobalScot . Which is an organisation representing Scottish Buisness.

Trump & Salmond hate each other now btw. Due to Trumps' dislike of Wind turbines.

It all started with labour, but was continued with the SNP. The Green party, have come out looking the best.

Sent a wee message(with this letter 2006) to the ex First minister of Scotland(leader) who promised Trump his course.

[Image: jackmcconnell.jpg]
[Image: A6IVe2UCIAAVw9V.jpg:large]

Hate Bullies! which Trump is.
2012 Oct 30 22:46
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Graham's post:
Aemma (30-10-2012), Artturi (17-11-2015), Peasant (30-10-2012), Zephyr (30-10-2012)
Zephyr
Away
Bots, bots everywhere.
Supervision

Portugal

Welcome back, Graham!

Jeff Hanneman 1964-2013
João Ribas 1965-2014
2012 Oct 30 22:50
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Zephyr's post:
Graham (30-10-2012)
Graham

Scotland - Alba

Hi Smile Forgot about this place. Came back to check what's happening. This Trump stuff was a fucking joke! I seen this documentry. Bullying the small community.

His Mother is Scottish & he has family here of a humble & modest background. I'd like think they'd be embarrassed.

Trumps Mother
[Image: article-0-018A4F7400000578-725_468x685.jpg]
Family Home
[Image: trump460.jpg]
2012 Oct 30 23:00
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Graham's post:
Aemma (30-10-2012), Artturi (17-11-2015), Osweo (31-10-2012)
Zephyr
Away
Bots, bots everywhere.
Supervision

Portugal

(2012 Oct 30 23:00)Graham Wrote:  Hi Smile Forgot about this place.

PERKELE

Jeff Hanneman 1964-2013
João Ribas 1965-2014
2012 Oct 30 23:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Zephyr's post:
Albion (07-11-2012), Susi (31-10-2012)
Aemma

France

Maybe Mr. Trump is gunning to acquire a life peerage from all of this mucking about in Scotland. It wouldn't be the first time some crafty North American would have gotten such an appointment.

Meanwhile here in North America we get to watch him and his toupee peddle luxury mattresses on the television. Big Grin

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2012 Oct 31 00:07
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aemma's post:
Artturi (17-11-2015)
Aemma

France

oh lol!oh lol!oh lol!

I had totally forgotten about this thread. Seems he was an unsavory character in most of our eyes even 3 years ago!

Plus ça change...

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2015 Sep 24 00:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aemma's post:
Artturi (17-11-2015)
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

[Image: CK9CiAdUsAA4iqq.jpg]

Trump is absolutely vile. Even Hillary Clinton's presidency would benefit white Americans more.

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2015 Sep 24 00:58
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Eldritch's post:
Aemma (24-09-2015), Artturi (17-11-2015)