Aemma

France

Saint Anna Schäffer
Quote:Saint Anna Schäffer

Mystic, Stigmatist

Born: February 18, 1882 Mindelstetten, Bavaria

Died: October 5, 1925 (aged 43) Mindelstetten, Bavaria

Honored in the Roman Catholic Church

Beatified March 17, 1999, Saint Peter's Basilica, Vatican City by Pope John Paul II

Canonized October 21, 2012, Vatican City by Pope Benedict XVI

Feast 5 October (Roman Catholic)

Anna Schäffer (February 18, 1882 – October 5, 1925) is a German saint who lived in Mindelstetten in Bavaria. She was canonized by Pope Benedict XVI on October 21, 2012.

Childhood:

Schäffer's father, a carpenter, died at the age of 40, leaving his family in great poverty. She dropped out of school and worked as a maid from the age of fourteen, hoping to one day become able enter a religious order. But with family obligations she could barely make ends meet. In 1898, she had a vision from Christ that she was destined to endure long and painful suffering.

On February 4, 1901, working at a laundry, Schäffer slipped and fell while reattaching a stovepipe and boiled her legs in the washing machine. She was taken to hospital, but nothing could be done about the painful burns. More than thirty surgeries followed, and the wounds had to be carefully dressed which also caused much pain. Despite the constant care of Dr. Waldin, skin grafts did not succeed and Schäffer became completely immobile, cared for by her mother until the end of her life. Therefore, she had to abandon her dreams of entering a religious order which she had ached for her entire life.

Works:

Schäffer never lost her optimism and became even more devoted to her faith while ongoing constant suffering. She was often unable to sleep, but continued to express her adoration of Christ and Mary, especially the Sacred Heart. A local abbot would bring her the Eucharist daily. She wrote: "How happy I am every time after Holy Communion, I can write with no spring. Ah, I forget my earthly suffering and the longing of my poor soul draws me every moment to my God and Saviour hidden in the Blessed Sacrament to adore!"

She considered her suffering, her writing, and her ability to knit clothes for her friends the three "keys" by which she could enter Heaven. Her beatific attitude made her a beloved figure in town and people would often visit her to hear her comforting words of faith. A French writer says of her that "those who were the most prejudiced against Anna did not fail to be impressed by her patience and her kindness." Even her irreligious brother eventually came to her support.

From 1910 mystical phenomena developed around her, including stigmata, which she did her best to conceal from the public, and occasional waking visions which made her ecstatic. She did not accompany these developments with a change in attitude, though, but remained selfless, and promised prayers and letters for anyone who wanted them.

In 1925, she contracted colon cancer, and her paralysis spread to her spine, making it difficult to speak or write. On the morning of October 5, she received her final Holy Communion, and suddenly spoke: "Jesus, I love you!" She died minutes later. At her funeral many already believed that they had known a saint.

Beatification and canonization:

After her death it became common to visit her grave to have prayers answered. Since 1929, more than 15,000 miracles attributed to such prayers have been reported. In 1998, 551 miracles obtained through her ​​intercession were recorded in the parish of Mindelstetten.

Schäffer was submitted for beatification in 1973. Over 20,000 letters and testimonies were collected to fully examine her case.

During her beatification, 7 March 1999 , Pope John Paul II said: "If we look to Blessed Anna Schäffer, we read in her life a living commentary on what Saint Paul wrote to the Romans: 'Hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us' (Rom. 5:5). She most certainly was not spared the struggle to abandon herself to the will of God. But she was given to grow in the correct understanding that weakness and suffering are the pages on which God writes His Gospel... Her sickbed became the cradle of an apostolate that extended to the whole world."

In 2012, her notebook, entitled Thoughts and memories of my life of illness and my longing for the eternal homeland, was translated into English. On October 21, she was canonized Saint Anna by Pope Benedict XVI.

[Image: 2upeijq.jpg]

Quote:Anna Schaeffer, from Mindelstetten, as a young woman wished to enter a missionary order. She came from a poor background so, in order to earn the dowry needed for acceptance into the cloister, she worked as a maid. One day she suffered a terrible accident and received incurable burns on her legs which forced her to be bed-ridden for the rest of her life. So her sick-bed became her cloister cell and her suffering a missionary service. She struggled for a time to accept her fate, but then understood her situation as a loving call from the crucified One to follow him. Strengthened by daily communion, she became an untiring intercessor in prayer and a mirror of God’s love for the many who sought her counsel. May her apostolate of prayer and suffering, of sacrifice and expiation, be a shining example for believers in her homeland, and may her intercession strengthen the Christian hospice movement in its beneficial activity.

Pope Benedict XVI: Canonization Homily (full text)

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2012 Oct 22 18:14
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aemma's post:
Violet (22-10-2012)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

RE: Saint Anna Schäffer
Once again Therese Neumann of Konnersreuth did not make it onto the Vatican's shortlist.

[Image: Therese_Neumann_von_Konnersreuth3.jpg]

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2012 Oct 22 21:03
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Aemma

France

Isn't it up to this man to get that party started?

2012 Oct 22 21:28
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Phlegethon

Deutschland

Well, for the moment even her beatification process seems to have been stalled. Maybe her views and personality are still too controversial for Rome.

Bishop Müller is an ultra-liberal retard of the Cardinal Lehmann Mainz diocese school therefore nothing positive will occur as long as he is in that position.

2012 Oct 22 21:37
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Aemma (22-10-2012)
Aemma

France

(2012 Oct 22 21:37)Phlegethon Wrote:  Well, for the moment even her beatification process seems to have been stalled. Maybe her views and personality are still too controversial for Rome.

Bishop Müller is an ultra-liberal retard of the Cardinal Lehmann Mainz diocese school therefore nothing positive will occur as long as he is in that position.

So am I to take it that you are NOT happy with Saint Anna Schäffer's canonisation then?

2012 Oct 22 21:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Phlegethon

Deutschland

Germany also claims Marianne Cope for herself. USA: no points.

[Image: 250px-Mother_Marianne_Cope_in_her_youth.jpg]

2012 Oct 22 21:54
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Aemma (22-10-2012)