Martial Arts
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

Martial Arts
Deserves a thread.

Anyone of you active practitioners? Ex-practitioners?

I was pretty into Muay Thai / Thaiboxing once upon a time. I have lots of friends who have practiced various martial arts and we still sometimes organize practice & sparring sessions. I've also sparred once with Sinimusta, he can tell you all about the body-cruncher that is my right roundhouse kick. ;)

Still, I've been thinking of picking it up once more, but I'm really strapped for cash and time at the moment...

Some videos of my favourite fighters. ;)

Yodsanklai Fairtex

Here's Yod fighting another legend, Samkor, whose obviously past his prime and the fight doesn't look very serious. But the technique is still beautiful. Smile

Rambaa Somdet Big Grin

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2012 Nov 03 10:16
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Aemma (13-11-2012), Dussander (03-11-2012), Violet (03-11-2012)
Dussander

Hrvatska

RE: Martial Arts
I used to practice Taekwondo when I was younger. Now I want to start training Krav Maga.

We must dissent.

[Image: 10494820_10152495444871387_2677074454375​72888_n.jpg]
2012 Nov 03 11:45
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

(2012 Nov 03 11:45)Dussander Wrote:  I used to practice Taekwondo when I was younger. Now I want to start training Krav Maga.

I've been to one KM lesson. I'm more into 'combat sport' than 'self-defense' anyway. Smile

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2012 Nov 03 12:39
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

As a child I learned judo and jiu-jitsu, and as I have a military and paramilitary background I also learned hand-to-hand combat as well as the basics of streetfighting by former members of the Foreign Legion and members of the Hells Angels who used to have a bouncer monopoly in this region quite a while ago. I also boxed for a while and due to my lack of both stamina and technical proficiency in that sport became an unpredictable slugger with quite a cultivated liver punch. But I quickly realized that this wasn't my sport.

In real-life conflicts I am a big fan of the unconspicuous kubotan

[Image: 31FXIV5foDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

or this slightly more sophisticated version from Böker

[Image: 4463_0.jpg]

Unlike all other means of self-defense it is not considered a weapon here and thus legal to carry.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2012 Nov 03 17:44
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Dussander (05-11-2012)
Susi

England

(2012 Nov 03 10:16)Mustapaita Wrote:  Deserves a thread.

Anyone of you active practitioners? Ex-practitioners?

I like hitting things and lifting heavy things up and down Big Grin

Quote:I was pretty into Muay Thai / Thaiboxing once upon a time. I have lots of friends who have practiced various martial arts and we still sometimes organize practice & sparring sessions. I've also sparred once with Sinimusta, he can tell you all about the body-cruncher that is my right roundhouse kick. ;)

I'm really into Muay Thai, was supposed to go today, but my hangover was terrible and I didn't want to bike 7km to the training place because it's going to snow again Facepalm

We should test our right roundhouses. Mine can be pretty strong ^^ My old trainer (for kickboxing/MMA, actually), before I moved, said it was horse-like. Big Grin I like kicking fast though, it's my favourite.

Quote:Still, I've been thinking of picking it up once more, but I'm really strapped for cash and time at the moment...

I know it's not viable right now, but for Muay Thai, we trained outside and paid our trainer something like 35/mo each because he cared about us and did it for passion, not money. If you can find space and some people who want to do it, then I'd just go for it.

There's something about martial arts that really energises me. It helps me sleep Smile

I want to try some sort of grappling next and the gym I'm on the cusp of joining offers it too, but I want to try two more classes before I commit to it.

"Имеют. Знают. Это ты, брат, еще не знаешь"
2012 Nov 03 18:13
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Susi's post:
Dussander (05-11-2012), Mustapaita (21-10-2013)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

Grappling is gay. All you have to know when a fight continues on the ground is a basic set of submission holds, choking preferable to locking as a good stranglehold ends a fight without permanent damage.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2012 Nov 03 19:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Dussander (05-11-2012)
Peasant
Banned

England

All you need to know.
2012 Nov 09 20:13
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Peasant's post:
Mustapaita (21-10-2013), Susi (13-11-2012)