Sweden's insane anti-discrimination laws have created a generation of lost women
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

RE: Sweden's insane anti-discrimination laws have created a generation of lost women
One more reason not to differentiate between Anglos.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2012 Dec 05 22:29
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Guiri

España

RE: Sweden's insane anti-discrimination laws have created a generation of lost women
(2012 Dec 05 22:29)Phlegethon Wrote:  One more reason not to differentiate between Anglos.

The Anglo-World (English speakers) -

* English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh.
* Australians, New Zealanders.
* US Americans, Canadians.
* British South Africans.

In my experience, this is mostly how we seem to be sub-grouped. (Not on these sorts of forums, of course, but in real life.) Although here in Spain most people immediately assume that I'm English and on several occasions when I've told them "oh no, soy australiana!" they've told me that's the same thing anyway. Tongue One of my daughter's school friends is Scottish, but here even she just refers to herself as English. (Probably due to being constantly referred to as English over the years that she's lived here.) The Spanish also tend not to differentiate between the Irish and those from the UK. Anyone from the British Isles is just English (just as anyone from Eastern Europe is just Russian or Romanian). North Americans are seen as something different altogether. (And I think they are.)

I wonder if this is the same in most (non-Anglo) European countries?

Of course, there are differences between Old Worlders and New Worlders to be taken into account too.
2012 Dec 05 22:49
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Guiri's post:
Osweo (06-12-2012)
Phlegethon

Deutschland

The Irish aren't Anglos. They're alright and kindred souls from a German point of view. Subsuming the Welsh and Scotch also sounds pretty wrong to me.

(2012 Dec 05 22:49)Guiri Wrote:  Although here in Spain most people immediately assume that I'm English and on several occasions when I've told them "oh no, soy australiana!" they've told me that's the same thing anyway. Tongue

They're just trying to be nice. Actually it is far worse.

2012 Dec 05 23:09
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Guiri

España

(2012 Dec 05 23:09)Phlegethon Wrote:  The Irish aren't Anglos.

Anglo = English speaker. The Irish speak English.

Phlegethon Wrote:They're alright and kindred souls from a German point of view.

The only things that the Irish and Germans have in common are a strong tendency toward self-victimisation and an inability to handle alcohol.

Phlegethon Wrote:Subsuming the Welsh and Scotch also sounds pretty wrong to me.

Whether it's wrong or not, if you travel throughout the Brit Isles ít very quickly becomes obvious that the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh have more in common with each other than they have differences.

I suppose this is the main reason why the above said nationals tend to cling together when abroad. Familiarity and commonalities.

Phlegethon Wrote:They're just trying to be nice. Actually it is far worse.

Could be far worse, but I don't think they were trying to be nice. Big Grin I think it's just a matter of most Spanish not really being very familiar with Australians and probably laziness too. We look English and speak English so we must be English. Tongue
2012 Dec 05 23:48
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Torkilsdottir

Euskal Herria

The Irish speak English because it was forced on them. I believe Irish are akin to Acadians. They are Anglo if they act Anglo. So I view them the same as anglicized Acadians. If you have Acadian blood and speak English, but still want to identify with your Acadian heritage you have to act a certain way. For example if you speak English you can't be Acadian and support a system that hurts us, like for example voting Conservative in Canada or Republican in the USA.

2012 Dec 06 00:14
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo

England

(2012 Dec 05 23:48)Guiri Wrote:  I suppose this is the main reason why the above said nationals tend to cling together when abroad. Familiarity and commonalities.
Nah, it's cos we know how to get on each other's tits best. Without each other, we'd have to waste lots of time and efforts into learning the right 'buttons to press' for a whole load of other nationals. ;)

(2012 Dec 06 00:14)Torkilsdottir Wrote:  The Irish speak English because it was forced on them.
Nonsense. There were several attempts to shunt aside the Irish language, but by far the greatest change over to English occurred voluntary, at a later period. Compare the modern state of Hebrew with that of Irish. There's no excuse over there, save that they themselves prefer to speak English, for all manner of reasons.

Besides, there are substantial elements in the Irish population that never spoke Gaelic, except as a second language. Many Norse settled areas went straight from Norse to English, and the rest of the country has far more Old English background than most realise. There were highly distinct dialects of English spoken there with more or less autonomous development since Norman times.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2012 Dec 06 00:54
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Osweo's post:
Guiri (06-12-2012), Raskolnikov (06-12-2012)
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

(2012 Dec 05 05:24)Susi Wrote:  I think though, we should consider whether these behaviours are actually doing us any good... I don't really believe in this kind of philosophy, that biology is destiny. It seems far too simplistic... things are complicated.

You might as well rebel against death then. ;)

Joke aside, I do agree here to some extent. To me, biology is destiny, by default, yet humans have through the means of their abilities and mental capacity access to knowledge which is hidden from other species, enabling our kind to alter reality, conforming it to our very own views.

Diseases, hunger, suffering, ignorance... YES! But gender roles? I don't see much point in fundamentally and artificially redefining a productive concept shown to reestablish itself all by itself again.

Quote:Ape societies have a high degree of sociality or sociableness or whatever you want to call it...

Quite so indeed, as my example partially demonstrated. For this very reason I have decided not to use the term "sociableness", and used "social engineering" instead. A concept unfamiliar to monkey and ape societies, in a way as utilised within human socities.
As far as my understanding goes, apes do not differentiate themselves withing ideological frames. They are reasonable animals with highly developed cognitive abilities, and of traces a culture, yet their identity is first and foremost (with not much resistence at hand) based on biology. There is no social engineering at work.

And despite homo sapiens sapiens playing (obviously) in an other league, our nature is to be understood in a similar manner. Last time I checked, the mind derived from our brain (i.e. body), and not the other way around.

Quote:The subtext I understand: "I don't like where this is going so I want women to stick by the roles that they've been given damn it, by staying in the home and in the kitchen rather than having the freedom to do whatever they want, be it stay at home/in the kitchen or go out and pursue knowledge etc."

Let me know if I have it wrong.

Sorry to say you do have it wrong. There is no need to resort to cheap misinterpretations expressed through the means of an argumentum ad ridiculum (as shown in this particular quotation). Let me know if I can help you understand me correctly.
2012 Dec 06 01:39
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 5 users Like Aramis's post:
Guiri (06-12-2012), Kat (06-12-2012), Mustapaita (06-12-2012), Osweo (06-12-2012), Temnozor (06-12-2012)
Guiri

España

(2012 Dec 06 00:14)Torkilsdottir Wrote:  I believe Irish are akin to Acadians.

Facepalm

Say that to an Irishman and I'm pretty sure of the reaction you'll get. Big Grin

Torkilsdottir Wrote:They are Anglo if they act Anglo.

What is "acting Anglo" in your view?
2012 Dec 06 10:05
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Dussander

Hrvatska

(2012 Dec 06 01:39)Aramis Wrote:  Last time I checked, the mind derived from our brain (i.e. body), and not the other way around.

You're a monist, then? Very interesting.

We must dissent.

[Image: 10494820_10152495444871387_2677074454375​72888_n.jpg]
2012 Dec 06 12:22
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Dussander's post:
Mustapaita (06-12-2012)
Phlegethon

Deutschland

(2012 Dec 05 23:48)Guiri Wrote:  Anglo = English speaker. The Irish speak English.

And so do I - as well as about half the world population. Still I am not an Anglo. And neither are the Irish.

2012 Dec 08 00:17
Like PostLIKE REPLY