Czech parliament approves return of confiscated Church properties
Violet
Grand Member

England

Quote:The Czech parliament has approved the return of Church properties confiscated during the Communist era. The property, valued at $7 billion, will be returned over the next three decades and includes 6% of the nation’s fields and forests.

The Czech government currently pays clergy salaries, but under the agreement, the Church would gradually lose government funding.

Cardinal Dominik Duka of Prague said that he was “glad” that the “painstakingly negotiated compromise on religious restitution” was approved.

November 09, 2012

2013 Jan 10 09:32
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo

England

RE: Czech parliament approves return of confiscated Church properties
Not enough Czechs are willing to serve in the Church, so they import priests from abroad, and I recall Czechia as second in the world list of most atheist countries, and yet they pay the priests' wages through their taxes!? And though they're going to stop this, they're handing over a massive chunk of state assets to this institution now!? Crazy.

I suppose the Germans who were booted out in the 40s were Catholics themselves, so the 'return' of their ecclesiastical stuff to Czech (or now, rather Polish!) priests is a bit of a laugh...

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2013 Jan 10 15:21
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Osweo's post:
Sans Nom (10-01-2013), Violet (10-01-2013)
Sans Nom

საქართველო

RE: Czech parliament approves return of confiscated Church properties
(2013 Jan 10 15:21)Osweo Wrote:  Not enough Czechs are willing to serve in the Church, so they import priests from abroad, and I recall Czechia as second in the world list of most atheist countries, and yet they pay the priests' wages through their taxes!? And though they're going to stop this, they're handing over a massive chunk of state assets to this institution now!? Crazy.

I suppose the Germans who were booted out in the 40s were Catholics themselves, so the 'return' of their ecclesiastical stuff to Czech (or now, rather Polish!) priests is a bit of a laugh...
(2013 Jan 10 15:21)Osweo Wrote:  Not enough Czechs are willing to serve in the Church, so they import priests from abroad, and I recall Czechia as second in the world list of most atheist countries, and yet they pay the priests' wages through their taxes!? And though they're going to stop this, they're handing over a massive chunk of state assets to this institution now!? Crazy.

Agree. Can't imagine Czechs getting really bothered with this Church business.
2013 Jan 10 20:27
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Sans Nom's post:
Osweo (10-01-2013)