A little Snooker...
Osweo

England

A little Snooker...
I can't abide watching sports, with the honourable exceptions of snooker and darts. Maths, skill, minimum poncing about (in snooker), maximum poncing about (in darts) - who couldn't get hooked? Maybe some other members can post some good shots they've seen on videos online.

ANyway, here's a video of Neil Robertson getting out of a tight little corner the other day:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/worl...39189.html

I never embedded a Yahoo video before, so let's see what happens:

[video=yahoo]141639189[/video]

Um... Pictures are easier:
[Image: 1801_Robertson_blog.jpg]
Quote:Defending champion Neil Robertson has described a shot against Mark Allen at the Masters as "probably the best" one he's ever played.
Robertson traded blows all afternoon with Allen in a classic before the defending champion compiled an immaculate 105 to complete a terrific 6-5 win after a memorable quarter-final at Alexandra Palace.
Robertson came to the table in all sorts of trouble early in the final frame after Allen had left his opponent snookered and apparently poised for defeat before an expectant crowd at the London venue.
But 2010 world champion Robertson - who ousted Ding Junhui 6-5 by winning the final three frames in the first round - managed to escape from the snooker behind the yellow to go up and down the table and hole the red that Allen had left over a top pocket.
Robertson was fortunate in landing on the black, but there was nothing lucky about the 105, his third century of the match, that secured a meeting with John Higgins or Shaun Murphy in the semi-finals.
"In terms of judgement and under the circumstances, it was definitely one of the best shots I've ever played..probably the best," said Robertson.
"Obviously, there is an element of luck in potting it so cleanly to end up on the black, but I had to give myself every chance to end up on the black. I could have played it at pace and misjudged it..and opened up all the reds.
"It is lucky, but not a fluke. It was kind of like reading a horrible putt in golf that goes in.
"I felt sorry for Mark to go out of the tournament without doing anything wrong."

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2013 Jan 19 16:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Osweo's post:
Abreodan (20-01-2013), Eldritch (20-01-2013), Lohengrin (20-01-2013)
Abreodan

England

RE: A little Snooker...
(2013 Jan 19 16:26)Osweo Wrote:  I can't abide watching sports, with the honourable exceptions of snooker and darts.

Yes, I can't watch darts these days as the bulk of it tends to clash with children's daytime to wife's early evening time entertainment, but snooker has the better coverage throughout the day to night and, of course, the better extras and highlights (in my opinion at least).

Robertson has been playing well. I don't fancy him against Selby today/tomorrow, as Selby has been playing the more fluent and consistent snooker, but if Robertson can hold Selby off early and keep his breaks big I can see Selby losing, but, if Selby gets an early start and has the bulk of the early frames and has the "purist snooker head" on, then Selby will be the new Masters champion.

I've not been watching to much of the snooker as time hasn't been favourable, but from what I saw this evening between Selby and Dott I'd have to say some of the intense snooker played is up the top of the list, but when it comes to memorable snooker being played by masters of snooker then the following have always got my consideration for all time great.

I could post Ronnie videos all day. Shame he's retired. I need to find a new English player to cheer on now.
2013 Jan 20 04:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Abreodan's post:
Lohengrin (20-01-2013), Osweo (20-01-2013), Zephyr (20-01-2013)
Abreodan

England

Bollocks to it! I'm posting Ronnie vids.

The two facets of Ronnie I actually never liked; his cockiness and his constant whining as to whether he was or wasn't up for the game or not, or whether he was in the mood for it and blah blah.

Stop smoking drugs.

Mark King looked as if he'd hit Ronnie for what he was doing. I'm sure a few autobiographies in the future will have some juicy details about inter-player relationships.
2013 Jan 20 05:00
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Abreodan's post:
Osweo (20-01-2013), Zephyr (20-01-2013)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

(2013 Jan 19 16:26)Osweo Wrote:  I can't abide watching sports, with the honourable exceptions of snooker and darts.

Hey, I though you were talking about sports. I find about as exciting as watching paint dry. Same with poker, chess, golf and other un-sports.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2013 Jan 20 12:12
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Zephyr
Away
Bots, bots everywhere.
Supervision

Portugal

(2013 Jan 20 05:00)Abreodan Wrote:  Bollocks to it! I'm posting Ronnie vids.

The two facets of Ronnie I actually never liked; his cockiness and his constant whining as to whether he was or wasn't up for the game or not, or whether he was in the mood for it and blah blah.

Stop smoking drugs.

Mark King looked as if he'd hit Ronnie for what he was doing. I'm sure a few autobiographies in the future will have some juicy details about inter-player relationships.

You know what, I kinda understand his side on this one... They are not paying a price for a 147 because he is in the tournament and the odds they have to pay it increase but 147s and 9-dart finishes must have a prize. Or should, at least.

These tournaments earn the sponsors millions while guys like Ronnie or Phil Taylor have put everything into the game all their lives, maybe 9-darters and 147s become dull for them if they get nothing for it. From their point of view, they feel a bit used and it's the sponsors who need them.

[Image: m8Qubx3.jpg]

Jeff Hanneman 1964-2013
João Ribas 1965-2014
Lemmy Kilmister 1945-2015
2013 Jan 20 19:42
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Zephyr's post:
Abreodan (22-01-2013), Osweo (20-01-2013)