Violence in Finland's championship ice hockey league spiralling out of control
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

Thumbs Down Violence in Finland's championship ice hockey league spiralling out of control
Aller cancels hockey sponsorship over violence

The media company Aller has decided to end its agreements to sponsor ice hockey. The company says that violence in the sport is out of control.

[Image: ville_peltonen3.jpg]
Ville Peltonen was injured in Saturday's game against Jokerit.

HIFK captain Ville Peltonen was left unconcious after a hit by Jokerit’s Markus Nordlund in Saturday’s Helsinki derby.

That was not the first time Finnish legend Peltonen has been targeted in games against Jokerit—he was also knocked out in a pre-season game in an incident that brought an assault conviction for Jokerit’s Semir Ben-Amor. The latest incident was too much for Aller.

"This second hit on Peltonen was the last straw for us, although violence is a trend that has troubled the hockey league for some time now," said Aller Media CEO Pauli Aalto-Setälä.

Peltonen was rushed to hospital after he left the ice, and according to a HIFK statement now has mild brain damage, bruised ribs and two missing teeth.

Aller has a contract to sponsor HIFK, with the company’s gossip magazine 7 Päivää gaining visibility on HIFK’s kit. The firm has also paid for hospitality at Jokerit games, but will not now do so until it feels violence in the sport has been dealt with.

YLE News.

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2013 Feb 26 15:02
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Eldritch's post:
Aemma (26-02-2013), Violet (27-02-2013)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

RE: Violence in Finland's championship ice hockey league spiralling out of control
Is it now?

A company that sells 7 Päivää is not in a position to occupy the moral high ground on any issue whatsoever.

It would be interesting to know the following:

How does this 'spiralling out of control' show in statistics other than the exponential number of saucy headlines that seem to be able to be produced from each incident?

Do the people, who actually follow and like hockey feel, that its spiralling out of control? I have a distinct butt-itch - so correct me if I'm wrong - that people who moan most watch the sport the least.

Linkki ei muuten toimi.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2013 Feb 26 19:25
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Aemma (26-02-2013), Kalevanpoika (28-02-2013)
Aemma

France

RE: Violence in Finland's championship ice hockey league spiralling out of control
It would be interesting to see how this hit actually occurred. Yes of course sometimes it does occur that some goon is out to get someone but it's not the usual occurrence among hockey players. But every sport has its fair share of nuts I suppose.

I know that here many of the injuries occurring due to some ("good" and "bad") hits have as much to do with the equipment itself than the actual hit by a fellow player. It's almost reached the point where some of the equipment made to prevent injuries causes further injury, a bit like airbags in cars made to cushion an impact but they end up suffocating the person instead. :/
2013 Feb 26 20:42
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

(2013 Feb 26 19:25)Mustapaita Wrote:  Is it now?

A company that sells 7 Päivää is not in a position to occupy the moral high ground on any issue whatsoever.

Unfortunately, what they are in a position to do is stop giving ice hockey teams money. If that is even construed as a beachhead on the moral high ground, it can very well lead to a chain reaction, the moral high ground being a place where most everybody wants to be these days.

Quote:It would be interesting to know the following:

How does this 'spiralling out of control' show in statistics other than the exponential number of saucy headlines that seem to be able to be produced from each incident?

Well, there is the statistic of Ville Peltonen being knocked unconscious on home ice by Jokerit players two more times this season than has been the usual average. Make of that what you will.

Quote:Do the people, who actually follow and like hockey feel, that its spiralling out of control? I have a distinct butt-itch - so correct me if I'm wrong - that people who moan most watch the sport the least.

If part of the definition of watching and liking hockey is not feeling like rink violence is spiraling out of control, then, well ...

Quote:Linkki ei muuten toimi.

Toivotaan sitten että jengi osaa käyttää Googlea.

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2013 Feb 26 21:20
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Eldritch's post:
Kalevanpoika (28-02-2013)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2013 Feb 26 23:51
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

(2013 Feb 26 21:20)Eldritch Wrote:  Unfortunately, what they are in a position to do is stop giving ice hockey teams money. If that is even construed as a beachhead on the moral high ground, it can very well lead to a chain reaction, the moral high ground being a place where most everybody wants to be these days.

I don't think so. If anything, this will boost hockey's popularity among the hoi polloi. And everybody wants to be where the money is.

Quote:Well, there is the statistic of Ville Peltonen being knocked unconscious on home ice by Jokerit players two more times this season than has been the usual average. Make of that what you will.

One player, two teams. Hardly the whole of the league. I'm simply wondering if its all about a couple of widely sensationalised events or an actual trend.

Quote:If part of the definition of watching and liking hockey is not feeling like rink violence is spiraling out of control, then, well ...

Not sure where you got that idea. I was saying, that I believe that people who think this is some major issue don't really care about the sport anyway. It has been a favourite topic of avowed hockey haters for decades: "Its so violent and brutish! Eek!"

Quote:Linkki ei muuten toimi.

Quote:Toivotaan sitten että jengi osaa käyttää Googlea.

Niin. Voihan sen linkin myös muuttaa toimivaksi.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2013 Feb 27 13:08
Like PostLIKE REPLY