'Ask a native speaker' thread
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

'Ask a native speaker' thread
You already know what this thread is for.

The first question is going to be: do Germans pronounce Lust and ste differently?

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
2013 Jun 19 21:09
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like W. R.'s post:
Aemma (20-06-2013), Dussander (19-06-2013), Osweo (19-06-2013), Temnozor (19-06-2013)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

RE: 'Ask a native speaker' thread
(2013 Jun 19 21:09)Whiteruthenian Wrote:  The first question is going to be: do Germans pronounce Lust and ste differently?

Yes, of course. Wherever you see an Umlaut you have to pronounce it like ... well, like it has to be pronounced. Umlauts are own phonemes. In that case they are even specifically used to signalise the plural (not grammatically, but etymologically).

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2013 Jun 19 21:15
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
W. R. (19-06-2013)
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

http://www.napervillechorus.org/german.html

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2013 Jun 19 21:17
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Temnozor (19-06-2013), W. R. (19-06-2013)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2013 Jun 19 21:17)Aptrgangr Wrote:  ...

Thank you.

(2013 Jun 19 21:15)Temnozor Wrote:  Wherever you see an Umlaut you have to pronounce it like ... well, like it has to be pronounced. Umlauts are own phonemes.

I guessed so because I see the difference in spelling. But you probably understand that to me my own question sounded like: ду Джёрманс пронаўнс Люст энд Люстэ діфэрэнтлі? dunno

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.

2013 Jun 19 21:38
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

(2013 Jun 19 21:38)Whiteruthenian Wrote:  I guessed so because I see the difference in spelling. But you probably understand that to me my own question sounded like: ду Джёрманс пронаўнс Люст энд Люстэ діфэрэнтлі? dunno

Yeah, you mess the whole thing up if you apply Slavic phonetics to it, as we don't have that neutral German "l". With a Slavic "л" it's either hard (луст) or soft (люст) and both are wrong. You need a neutal "l" followed by a proper "u" / "ü" here. To pronounce "ü" correctly just try to say "и" and round your lips while doing so.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

2013 Jun 19 22:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Osweo (20-06-2013)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

^East Slavic I mean, as I recently learned that other Slavs (Croatians) use a neutral "l" too.

2013 Jun 19 22:21
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Tintagell
Chthonic

England

If there are any speakers of Swedish on here, how do you pronounce 'jag'? From all of the mainstream things I've seen, most pronounce it as 'ja'. Which way is the more preferred way?
2013 Jun 19 22:47
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Arnau
Imperfect but Catalan

Catalunya

(2013 Jun 19 21:09)Whiteruthenian Wrote:  The first question is going to be: do Germans pronounce Lust and ste differently?

That's like asking to a Russian 'Do you pronounce быть and бить differently? Beat that bit. Big Grin
2013 Jun 19 23:22
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Arnau's post:
W. R. (20-06-2013)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2013 Jun 19 23:22)Arnau Wrote:  That's like asking to a Russian 'Do you pronounce быть and бить differently?

Hey, languages change, and orthographies are more conservative than phonetic systems. So a little probability, that the Germans 'have forgotten' the difference between lu and , while keeping the distinction in writing, still existed.

(2013 Jun 19 23:22)Arnau Wrote:  Beat that bit. Big Grin

The Moscow linguistic school must die. The Leningrad linguistic school forever! According to the latter ы and и are the same phoneme, thus the difference between быть and бить is the quality of the b, non-palatalized in быть and palatalized in бить.

The answer is 'yes'. The 'b' in бить is pronounced with a palatal secondary articulation. Hope it helps. Smile

2013 Jun 20 07:21
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like W. R.'s post:
Arnau (21-06-2013), Dussander (20-06-2013)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

Quote:Yes, of course. Wherever you see an Umlaut you have to pronounce it like ... well, like it has to be pronounced.

Oh, by the way, I should have mentioned that you not only have to pronounce "ü" that way. In Greek and Latin loanwords and names Germans pronounce "y" like "ü" as well, like in Olympiade (Olümpiade), Lykurgus (Lükurgus), Mythos (Müthos), Lyra (Lüra) etc. That's pretty important actually.

2013 Jun 20 07:34
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Temnozor's post:
Dussander (20-06-2013), W. R. (20-06-2013)