Thread with random Orthodox Christian materials
Aemma

France

RE: Thread with random Orthodox Christian materials
Speaking of random Orthodox Christian material, I've had the following piece of religious iconography ever since I can remember. It belonged to my British grandmother, a devout Roman Catholic herself.

I see it almost every day and (unfortunately) take it for granted that I have such a nice piece of religious art in my possession. It has even more significance knowing that it was passed on from my grandmother to my father and then to me.

I'd taken this picture just a few days ago thinking I was going to post it here and ask if anybody knew anything of such a piece. But lo and behold when I was looking for an image of Our Lady of Cayma for another thread, I saw many more of images of this one! Google tells me it is an image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help (in Roman Catholic parlance) or the Theotokos of the Passion (in Eastern Orthodox parlance).

My piece is rather pristine since it is framed under glass. She is rather beautiful.
[Image: zn0jzm.jpg]

I'm curious, are there other pieces of iconography that transcend the Schism that anybody is aware of?

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2015 Feb 27 21:02
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Aemma's post:
Osweo (27-02-2015), W. R. (27-02-2015)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2015 Feb 27 21:02)Aemma Wrote:  I'm curious, are there other pieces of iconography that transcend the Schism that anybody is aware of?

The Black Madonna of Częstochowa. Transcending the Schism is not something unusual in this matter, but while Catholics are more liberal towards how icons look, the Orthodox are more conservative, and would be reluctant to revere an icon, that looks ‘non-canonic’.

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
2015 Feb 27 22:14
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like W. R.'s post:
Aemma (27-02-2015), Osweo (28-02-2015)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2016 Jul 28 12:23
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (28-07-2016), Hrabia (28-07-2016), Osweo (28-07-2016), W. R. (28-07-2016)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.

2016 Oct 03 23:32
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like W. R.'s post:
Artturi (04-10-2016), Osweo (04-10-2016)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

Quote:Announcement (11/10/2018).

Presided by His All-Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch, the Holy and Sacred Synod convened for its regular session from October 9 to 11, 2018, in order to examine and discuss items on its agenda.

The Holy Synod discussed in particular and at length the ecclesiastical matter of Ukraine, in the presence of His Excellency Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon and His Grace Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton, Patriarchal Exarchs to Ukraine, and following extensive deliberations decreed:

1) To renew the decision already made that the Ecumenical Patriarchate proceed to the granting of Autocephaly to the Church of Ukraine.

2) To reestablish, at this moment, the Stavropegion of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Kyiv, one of its many Stavropegia in Ukraine that existed there always.

3) To accept and review the petitions of appeal of Filaret Denisenko, Makariy Maletych and their followers, who found themselves in schism not for dogmatic reasons, in accordance with the canonical prerogatives of the Patriarch of Constantinople to receive such petitions by hierarchs and other clergy from all of the Autocephalous Churches. Thus, the above-mentioned have been canonically reinstated to their hierarchical or priestly rank, and their faithful have been restored to communion with the Church.

4) To revoke the legal binding of the Synodal Letter of the year 1686, issued for the circumstances of that time, which granted the right through oikonomia to the Patriarch of Moscow to ordain the Metropolitan of Kyiv, elected by the Clergy-Laity Assembly of his eparchy, who would commemorate the Ecumenical Patriarch as the First hierarch at any celebration, proclaiming and affirming his canonical dependence to the Mother Church of Constantinople.

5) To appeal to all sides involved that they avoid appropriation of Churches, Monasteries and other properties, as well as every other act of violence and retaliation, so that the peace and love of Christ may prevail.

At the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the 11th of October, 2018

From the Chief Secretariat
of the Holy and Sacred Synod

The legal divorce between the Ukrainian Orthodox Churche and the Russian Orthodox Church has begun.

Technically, paragraph 4 affects Belarus as well. In 1686 ancestors of Belarusians and Ukrainians were in the same Orthodox Church. It may energize the Belarusian Autocephalous Orthodox Church somehow that is pretty weak now.

2018 Oct 17 11:24
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes W. R.'s post:
Osweo (19-10-2018)