Thieves in Latvia like to steal icons from churches
Violet
Grand Member

England

Thieves in Latvia like to steal icons from churches
Quote:11.10.2013

Eastern and Central European regions, including Latvia, are an especially sensitive region in regard to the market of stolen pieces of art.

The art pieces most often stolen in Latvia are mostly icons from churches. No state or municipal museum of any foreign country has yet to report any information in regard to lost or stolen pieces of art, according to Interpol’s information. Interpol General Secretariat of the works of art representative of the Department Fabrizio Panone told Diena in an interview that recovery of lost or stolen works of art is largely delayed by the fact that art trade is completely legal, as opposed the arms and drug trade.

The only exception is works of art that are prohibited to leave the country. This is why it is vital for buyers to be able to identify whether the work of art he is offered to purchase is stolen. It is for this very purpose that Interpol has created a public Lost and Found database for works of art. The database currently has information about 42,000 works of art from 125 countries. Latvia has provided information about 67 stolen items – 44 icons, several paintings from private collections, one firearm and one jewellery item.

Head of Latvia’s branch of Interpol Indra Pulka says the contraband of works of art is always tied to organized crime. “Contraband of works of art yields very high profits. It is complicated to combat this type of crime. We use secret agents and listening in on people’s phone conversations,” – she explains.

http://bnn-news.com/thieves-latvia-steal...hes-104292

thumbs down
2013 Oct 12 14:22
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Violet's post:
Aptrgangr (12-10-2013), Mustapaita (12-10-2013), W. R. (13-10-2013)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

RE: Thieves in Latvia like to steal icons from churches
Scum. A few years back there was a case of stolen icon in HKI.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/20110208...4_uu.shtml

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2013 Oct 12 15:18
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Mustapaita's post:
Violet (12-10-2013)
Cinnamon
Destroyer of the One Ring.

Deutschland

God himself will punish the thieves, I'm sure.
2013 Oct 12 16:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Cinnamon's post:
W. R. (13-10-2013)
Karl
My face when I read your post:

Eesti

Russians steal anything that isn't tied down to the ground.
2013 Oct 12 23:17
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo

England

(2013 Oct 12 23:17)Karl Wrote:  Russians steal anything that isn't tied down to the ground.
And not only....

[Image: xf5a.jpg]
- What have you taken!?

- I took Kazan'... I took Astrakhan'... And Revel... Big Grin

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2013 Oct 13 12:51
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Osweo's post:
W. R. (13-10-2013)