Ukrainian Spring
Blackthorne

England

RE: Ukrainian Spring
(2014 Feb 19 00:47)Osweo Wrote:  
Quote:According to The Jerusalem Post, Bernard-Henri Lévy is the 45th most influential Jew in the world.
LoL, that must piss him off! I suppose he can only hope to outlive the 44 in the way. oh lol!

I doubt Jesu Cristo el Señor tops that list- or even Moses or David. The most influential Jew is probably some fraud like Bernie Madoff, or the current Jew running the U.S. Federal Reserve, or the Court Jew of the Royal Backside in Buckingham Palace, or some maker of Jewish fairy-tales like Steven Spielberg, or some other such deserving shyster.

You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out!
2014 Feb 19 07:50
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

According to a Finnish [or going by the surname, Esto-Nordic] analyst, the Uke government was presssured by Putin, who demanded an end to the protests.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2014 Feb 19 08:10
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Dussander (20-02-2014), Osweo (19-02-2014)
Mustapaita

Suomi

(2014 Feb 19 00:48)Erwann Wrote:  Tonight on French TV, BHL asked to European Athletes to go back home and to boycott Sochi because Putin is using his militiamen (Berkut) in Kiev.

[Image: BHL_Maidan.jpg]

[Image: BHL_bidon_2.jpg]
What a man! Big Grin

Bernard-Henri Lévy: ‘I don’t care much about my image’

[OT]

2014 Feb 19 11:37
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Erwann (19-02-2014), Osweo (19-02-2014)
Osweo

England

(2014 Feb 19 11:37)Mustapaita Wrote:  Bernard-Henri Lévy: ‘I don’t care much about my image’

[OT]

I disagree, I find it QUITE on topic! These are the sorts of shits whose ideas and machinations stand behind all these sagas of death and destruction, so it's paramount to know them a little better. ANd this says it all for me:
Quote:As the sun goes down, it strikes me that Lévy is like Tony Blair. They share the same views on liberal interventionism, an enthusiasm for both Europe and America, and a tolerance of Israel and moderate Islam. Like Blair, he is still notionally of the left but embraces the language (and lifestyle) of global liberalism. They also share a sense of personal mission, and of being able to define their own destiny. The idea of not wanting to belong too much evokes images of the globetrotting Blair, unloved by Labour and his country. They are both criticised and mocked but seem impervious to reflecting on it too deeply. “Why not?” he jokes, when I suggest the comparison. “Maybe, I don’t know him well enough.” Lévy’s smile widens. He even closes a shirt button.
Urgh!

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
(This post was last modified: 2014 Feb 19 23:03 by Osweo.)
2014 Feb 19 14:23
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Osweo's post:
Lohengrin (21-02-2014)
Erwann
Make Armorica Great Again
Supervision

Breizh

Last night in Kiev, Maidan : Peacefull protesters. Big Grin

[Image: Ukraine_riot_February_2014_2.jpg]

[Image: Ukraine_riot_February_2014_1.jpg]

[Image: Ukraine_riot_February_2014_5.jpg]

[Image: Ukraine_riot_February_2014_3.jpg]

[Image: Ukraine_riot_February_2014_6.jpg]

Some guys attacked a SBU building in Khmelnytskyi and an innocent woman was shot.
2014 Feb 19 16:31
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Erwann's post:
Kat (19-02-2014), Mustapaita (19-02-2014), Osweo (19-02-2014), W. R. (21-02-2014)
Osweo

England

(2014 Feb 19 08:10)Mustapaita Wrote:  According to a Finnish [or going by the surname, Esto-Nordic] analyst, the Uke government was presssured by Putin, who demanded an end to the protests.

Киев и Магадан
Пенза и Ереван
Над страною звучит московский beat!

http://www.moskva.fm/artist/%D0%B1%D1%80...ong_656455
thumbs up

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2014 Feb 19 22:21
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Aemma

France

Is Ukraine entering civil war, or deeper authoritarianism?
Quote:As police and protesters mounted a final, scorched-earth battle in central Kiev on Wednesday afternoon and the death toll climbed, an ominous question hovered over the entire region: If this isn’t going to be a civil war, then what will it be?

Now that President Viktor Yanukovych has turned decisively away from any political compromise or settlement, his options, and those of the outside world, have become stark and limited. And he clearly has ended any possibility of compromise: On Tuesday night he ushered leaders of the major opposition parties into his office and told them, apparently with visible anger, that their only option was to clear protesters out of the square.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the resulting clashes had killed 26 people in Kiev, 10 of them police. And a final police charge on the square’s encampment could prove even more deadly.

At this point, two options seem most likely: An outright civil war, or a total military crackdown and imprisonment of opposition leaders, leading to Belarus-style autocratic rule by Mr. Yanukovych and his party.

There are ominous signs that the latter option could be taking shape.

On Wednesday morning, the Ukrainian Security service posted a message on its website stating that a “criminal case” has been launched into an attempted coup by several politicians – presumably the three opposition leaders who spoke regularly at the protests. “Ukraine’s security service has begun a pre-trial investigation into illegal actions being carried out by individual politicians aimed at seizing state power," a statement on the web site of the SBU security service said.

The possibility of opposition arrest and imprisonment is to be taken seriously, given the history of Mr. Yanukovych, who came to power in a fair election in 2010 but has since cracked down on democratic opposition by changing laws and prosecuting leaders. He continues to imprison former prime minister and opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko, and has resisted entreaties from world leaders to grant her amnesty. A further shift into autocracy could prove to be the safest option, from his perspective.

On the other hand, the words “civil war” are now being uttered openly by both European-minded leaders and by Mr. Yanukovych’s supporters.

Indeed, Mr. Yanukovych himself suggested in a televised address Wednesday that democratic options are now off the table: “The leaders of the opposition have disregarded the principle of democracy, which says we obtain power through elections and not on the street,” he said. “It is a flagrant violation of the law and those who are responsible will face justice.”

The influential mayor of Donetsk, the largest city in eastern Ukraine, went further on Wednesday, describing the violence as a “civil war” and demanding the arrest of opposition leaders on terrorism charges: “The negotiations cannot be conducted with terrorists,” he told reporters.

Ukraine’s provinces, known as Oblasts, are divided, some of them militantly, between Mr. Yanukovych and the opposition, and the crackdown seems to have forced their leaders into polarized positions. There were some reports that Lviv, the westernmost provinces, had “declared independence” either from Ukraine itself or from Mr. Yanukovych. There was footage on Wednesday showing soldiers in Lviv surrendering en masse to the protesters.

“We may be witnessing the first hour of a civil war,” Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk told his legislature on Wednesday. “We are dealing with an ongoing destruction of the country. If people are dying and being injured during protests, it’s the authorities who are responsible. There are no doubts about that in Kiev.”

And, on Ukraine’s other border, Russian officials were equally militant in their language: Russia’s foreign ministry, in a statement Wednesday, described the protests as an attempted coup, referring to it as a “brown revolution” – a reference to the Nazi’s seizure of power in the 1930s. And Russian president Vladimir Putin’s spokesman said Mr. Putin blamed the violence on “the extremist forces.”

While European and U.S. leaders called for sanctions against Mr. Yanukovych and his backers on Wednesday, such measures appear to be too late to be effective: At this point, they would likely only entice the Ukrainian president to crack down harder, especially since Russia’s $15-billion aid package is highly unlikely to be equalled by the West.

Source

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2014 Feb 20 02:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Aemma's post:
Dussander (20-02-2014), Osweo (20-02-2014), W. R. (20-02-2014)
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

This sure as Hell reminds me of Sarajevo back in '92.

Samo kurvi i konobaru pare ostavljam.
2014 Feb 20 15:04
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 8 users Like Aramis's post:
Aemma (20-02-2014), Dussander (20-02-2014), Erwann (21-02-2014), Lohengrin (21-02-2014), Mustapaita (20-02-2014), Osweo (20-02-2014), W. R. (20-02-2014), Zephyr (03-03-2014)
Mustapaita

Suomi

If you have fb, a clip claiming to show protesters getting shot by snipers:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=719...=2&theater

Ah, Aramis posted it already. The video didn't work the first time around.

2014 Feb 20 15:10
Like PostLIKE REPLY
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2014 Feb 20 02:01)Aemma Wrote:  At this point, two options seem most likely: An outright civil war, or a total military crackdown and imprisonment of opposition leaders, leading to Belarus-style autocratic rule by Mr. Yanukovych and his party.

There are ominous signs that the latter option could be taking shape.

I don't want to believe this is possible. But Yanyk seems cornered. After the next elections, he'll probably end up in prison. Being as unpopular as he is now, to keep the whole country under control, to rig the next elections he'd have to go full Stalinist. People must be fighting desperately because they want to prevent this from happening.

A nice troika we would have here: Luka, Poutin' and Yanyk. Facepalm Yanyk would greatly overdo L and P, that's for sure.

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
2014 Feb 20 20:13
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 6 users Like W. R.'s post:
Aemma (20-02-2014), Dussander (20-02-2014), Erwann (21-02-2014), Gamera (20-02-2014), Mustapaita (20-02-2014), Osweo (20-02-2014)