Why Britain Can Never Accept German Leadership
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

Why Britain Can Never Accept German Leadership
Quote:Why Britain Can Never Accept German Leadership

Alphen, the Netherlands. 18 January. Regular followers of my musings will recall that in my blog of last week from the no Snow Meeting in Lithuania I came over all Churchillian and suggested that Britain would never accept German leadership even though Germany will emerge from the European crisis as Europe’s leading power. I stand by that assertion – Britain will never accept German leadership. History is still far too close for that ever to happen. Some of you rightly gave me flak (excuse the pun) over that statement because in isolation it came across as German-bashing. So let me expand on my analysis but put it in a more positive context and explain why a new political partnership between Britain and Germany is vital for both Germany and Europe. Indeed, with another Eurozone kerfuffle about to happen it is important that Berlin accepts and understands that any attempt to shackle Britain will fail. There are three essential factors; economic, political and military. (...)

http://europeangeostrategy.ideasoneurope...eade​rship/

http://lindleyfrench.blogspot.de/2012/01...erman.html

Seriously, I wonder about all that "German dominance" talk in British media, Germany is the least sovereign country in Europe, and it's not our fault Thatcher de-industrialised GB. Despite Germany is an economic power (with many flaws and weeaknesses, though), it still is a political dwarf. E.g. British media reports of Germans wanting GB to abolish their ounces/pounds/feet measures is horse hockey, all Germans want a pint when they are in an English pub, like British tourists want a Maß in Bavaria. Seriously, Germany too is pressed in accepting EU laws that destroy the local economy and culture, a concrete example is there was an attempt to outlaw the term Apfelwein* (apple wine) because wine only may be out of grapes in EU regulations, another point is the EU attempt to outlaw the Beer Purity Law** which is in force since the 15th century, because it would hinder competition. That's BS because beers not brewed according to that law may be sold here, it's just hardly anyone buys them. The third point is the EU idea to remove the "Made in Germany" etc. label, I have no idea how someone can possibly think that were a German idea. If GB does not like all this EU crap, they can step out tomorow - we can't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2012 Mar 22 18:11
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Albion (09-04-2012), Heretik (22-03-2012), Osweo (29-03-2012)
Peasant
Banned

England

RE: Why Britain Can Never Accept German Leadership
As an Englishman Atlanticism worries me more than the myth that Germany holds all the power in the EU. And I believe it is far more damaging to Europe and it's nations.
2012 Mar 27 22:37
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 5 users Like Peasant's post:
Aptrgangr (27-03-2012), Erwann (28-03-2012), Mustapaita (27-03-2012), Osweo (29-03-2012), Temnozor (09-04-2012)
Albion

England

Quote:Seriously, I wonder about all that "German dominance" talk in British media, Germany is the least sovereign country in Europe, and it's not our fault Thatcher de-industrialised GB.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think the media just sees Germany as a scapegoat, some other nation to distract attention away from our own.

Quote:Seriously, Germany too is pressed in accepting EU laws that destroy the local economy and culture, a concrete example is there was an attempt to outlaw the term Apfelwein* (apple wine) because wine only may be out of grapes in EU regulations,

The EU laws regarding wines were largely written under French guidance. There's also restrictions on selling wines made from hybrid grapes. Hybrid grapes are European vines crossed with American grape vines to improve hardiness and disease resistance, but they're still grapes. The wine snobs say they don't taste as good and so only a few countries are allowed to use hybrid grapes in wine production within the EU.
But unlike apples, the hybrid vines are still grapes though. The French are in charge of the agricultural policies I'm afraid.

Over here the EU was trying to ban some chocolate from being called such because there's EU quotas for the amount of chocolate and vegetable oil makes should include.
2012 Apr 09 21:31
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Xmia
Space Commienazi

England

(2012 Apr 09 21:31)Albion Wrote:  The French are in charge of the agricultural policies I'm afraid.

Over here the EU was trying to ban some chocolate from being called such because there's EU quotas for the amount of chocolate and vegetable oil makes should include.

I remember seeing it on TV Big Grin there was a hilarious segment in some programme (possibly about EU trade/food/agricultural laws, can't remember) where they mentioned that Cadbury's 'chocolate' had managed to escape having to change it's product name from chocolate, due to the low chocolate-ness of the product.

You can imagine the havoc such a law would wreak on chocolate sections of all stores... Big Grin

anyway, they were at a trade fair and the presenter talked to a French chocolatier about his chocolate. The artisan was all like 'ooh, my chocolate, ees soo beautiful, I feed it to-a a Japanese woman and she starteed to cry' Big Grin - he was like a living stereotype (his manner was reminiscent of Leonardo Acropolis from Blackadder ;))
then the presenter offered him some Cadbury's and he turned away, put his hands up and shook his head. Big Grin

They then tracked down some Japanese women who were at the fair and offered them some cadbury's dairy milk. The Japanese nodded and made noises of approval. Then they offered some of the French chocolatier's chocolate and the girls decided they prefered that. They didn't start crying, though Big Grin

...and yes, you can't imagine a 'Britain is bound by the rule of the evil French and their puppet, the EU', can you? it always has to be zee Germans thumbs down
2012 Apr 09 22:15
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Xmia's post:
Albion (09-04-2012), Android (10-04-2012), Dussander (09-04-2012), Osweo (09-04-2012)
Albion

England

Quote:...and yes, you can't imagine a 'Britain is bound by the rule of the evil French and their puppet, the EU', can you? it always has to be zee Germans

Nope. Sorry to disappoint you, but the Germans and French get equal treatment, second only to evil Brussels. Big Grin

This'd really get the journalists going...

[Image: ubn_view.png]

LOL
2012 Apr 09 23:25
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Albion's post:
Loddfafner (10-04-2012), Osweo (10-04-2012), Susi (10-04-2012)
Dussander

Hrvatska

Quote:Seriously, I wonder about all that "German dominance" talk in British media, Germany is the least sovereign country in Europe, and it's not our fault Thatcher de-industrialised GB. Despite Germany is an economic power (with many flaws and weeaknesses, though), it still is a political dwarf.
I am unsure about what to think of Germany. I'm quite sure its power has been on an upward spiral since the reunification, but what I don't understand yet is whose interests are prevalent in modern Germany. In other words, who utilizes this power and for what purpose?
2012 Apr 09 23:40
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Dussander's post:
Albion (09-04-2012)
Leliana
♥Strawberry Pie with milk♥

Deutschland

I don't want my country to lead EU or Europe but I want my country to take care of us Germans. We need more independence and politicians who care for the wishes of the people and not for foreign interests. sad We waste too much money abroads and receive no 'thanks' but 'Nazi alerts'.

The righteous
stand
before
the darkness
2012 Apr 10 00:49
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Leliana's post:
Albion (10-04-2012), Android (10-04-2012), Osweo (10-04-2012)
Albion

England

(2012 Apr 10 00:49)Leliana Wrote:  I don't want my country to lead EU or Europe but I want my country to take care of us Germans. We need more independence and politicians who care for the wishes of the people and not for foreign interests. sad We waste too much money abroads and receive no 'thanks' but 'Nazi alerts'.

Countries should look after their people first before going on political or military adventures. With a lot of politicians it's all about power and influence.
Sometimes I just think it'd be better for England to become independent and stop with the whole pretensions about being a great power and instead concentrate on improving the situation at home.
We should co-operate with other countries (especially Europen ones), but the EU as an organisation is broken and not the sort of organisation to be a part of.
2012 Apr 10 01:13
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Albion's post:
Leliana (10-04-2012), Osweo (10-04-2012)
Albion

England

Oh well, it looks like we're not the only ones who seem to not be accepting German leadership - the media over here keeps banging on about the French and Greek elections and how it could mess up "German-imposed" austerity.
2012 May 08 21:25
Like PostLIKE REPLY