Scottish independence: There are two men who could help Mr Cameron save Britain
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

By Benedict Brogan Politics Last updated: February 10th, 2014

Recently, a thoughtful reader sent me a receipt. It was issued to her father a hundred years ago this month. It’s for a worsted suit (£3 16s) and some trousers, made for him by his tailor in Glasgow. The paper is yellowed and a bit faded, but the penny red stamp is bright and the copperplate “with thanks” above the confident signature is clear.

The tailor – or Clothier and Outfitter, to give him his preferred description – was my great-grandfather, who had escaped the grinding poverty of Donegal to open a successful shop on the north side of George Square, a thimble’s throw from City Chambers, that temple to muscular Scots imperialism.

Denis Brogan had four sons who became teachers, academics and journalists. They also became Conservatives and Unionists, clear in their minds that they were citizens of a United Kingdom with a vocation of greatness on the world stage. They never bought in to the republicanism of the country their father left behind, or to an insular view of Scotland as the limit of their ambitions. The prospect of Scotland voting to strike off on its own would have filled them with despair. (...)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedi...e-britain/

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2014 Feb 11 19:42
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Tintagell
Chthonic

England

RE: Scottish independence: There are two men who could help Mr Cameron save Britain
That anecdote was really shitty, tbh.
2014 Feb 11 23:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

RE: Scottish independence: There are two men who could help Mr Cameron save Britain
(2014 Feb 11 23:26)Tintagell Wrote:  “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz
I know. But life is not just about the bright sides...

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2014 Feb 12 18:38
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Treffie

Cymru

Oh well, 2 days to go to the referendum and the Polls are showing that it's too close to call, currently 51% for `No` and 49% for `Yes`. I'm hoping that the Scots vote for self-rule, not only because I want them to disrupt the status quo at Westminster, but from a Welsh point of view, Wales would be much worse off if they didn't. If the Scots don't vote for `Yes`, they would given greater powers under what's been penned as `Devo Max` and as a result would have even more money given to them via the Barnett Formula. This would leave Northern Ireland, the English regions and Wales out of pocket (it's been calculated that Wales would lose £500 million per year). Seriously Scotland, you've come so far, you've shown how corrupt Westminster really is - don't let it slip away.
2014 Sep 16 20:49
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Treffie's post:
Erwann (17-09-2014), Osweo (17-09-2014)