Why are Hispanics identifying as white?
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

By Eric Liu
May 30, 2014 -- Updated 1351 GMT (2151 HKT)

Editor's note: Eric Liu is the founder of Citizen University and the author of several books, including "The Gardens of Democracy" and "The Accidental Asian." He served as a White House speechwriter and policy adviser for President Bill Clinton. Follow him on Twitter @ericpliu. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

(CNN) -- For all the complexity of our national complexion, Americans still too often think that white makes right.

Consider a new study of census returns reported on by the Pew Research Center. It showed, apparently, that significant numbers of Hispanics are now identifying as white. The research was presented at the recent Population Association of America meeting.

Some news reports suggested that Hispanics, rather than solidifying a distinct ethnic identity and becoming the driving force of a "majority-minority" future, might instead try to be just the latest group of immigrants, such as Italians or Jews, to "become white." [...]

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/29/opinio...index.html

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2014 May 31 02:52
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Kat (31-05-2014), Violet (01-06-2014), Zephyr (27-12-2018)
Albion

England

RE: Why are Hispanics identifying as white?
Well the whiter-looking, educated ones probably don't want to associate with the lower culture the hispanics bring and probably go around saying their ancestors were all Spaniards. I can underdstand why.
2016 Jan 16 20:17
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Albion's post:
Artturi (16-01-2016)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

I guess... some of them... are... white?

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2016 Jan 16 20:50
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (17-01-2016), Surtr Kvlt (16-01-2016)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

Well, some people in Latin America are actually white.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2016 Jan 16 20:53
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Artturi (17-01-2016)
Blackthorne

England

Gloria Estefan, Ted Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Emilio Estevez, etc. clearly aren't 'white'? Is there a rule someplace that says to be hispanic you have to look like Han Cholo? Hmm...

You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out!
2016 Jan 16 21:23
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Blackthorne's post:
Artturi (17-01-2016)