Russia bans all U.S. food, EU fruit and vegetables in sanctions response; NATO fears
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

RE: Russia bans all U.S. food, EU fruit and vegetables in sanctions response; NATO fears
Only Germany hates you all! ;)

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2014 Aug 16 17:50
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

RE: Russia bans all U.S. food, EU fruit and vegetables in sanctions response; NATO fears
(2014 Aug 16 12:37)Eldritch Wrote:  It's both: stupid troll. Always trying to derail every thread to the same tiresome topic, always with the same stupid tactics, and always with the same stupid results. thumbs down

Anyway, what I thought was a pathology unique to Karl, just showed up in the editorial of Estonia's largest newspaper:

[Image: zp9rVld.jpg]

Finland's president meets Putin = automatically Finland is now Sancho Panza in Putin's supposedly Quixotic pursuits.

WTF is wrong with these people ?!?

Do they suddenly feel so confident hiding behind a hundred American tanks, that they now feel they can start mocking the one country that has always supported them no matter what?

mad

I guess they're pissed since now the whole world seems to share in their (only) somewhat obsessive russomania and the only country "breaking rank" is Finland of all nations. But I think this was the most significant thing Niinistö has done during his presidency. He also met Ukrainian leader Poroshenko right after Putin. The EU is ineffective as ever in directing policy regarding Ukraine and I think its about time someone did something to bring about a diplomatic solution or at least de-escalation. We're supposed to be holding rank in the EU but the exact plan or policy we're supposed to follow remains murky. With the stakes being what they are I'm positively inclined to Niinistö's visit.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2014 Aug 19 15:04
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 5 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Aptrgangr (02-09-2014), Dussander (19-08-2014), Eldritch (19-08-2014), Erwann (19-08-2014), Osweo (19-08-2014)
Kat

Suomi

(2014 Aug 11 17:46)Osweo Wrote:  Every European country should uphold "good relations" with Russia, and the bitterness of a few little ex-satellite states in the Baltics is no use to the rest of us at all.

You mean every European country should uphold good relations with Russia, no matter what the Russians might do? As my Russian collegues say, the Crimea was given as a gift by Khrushchev to Ukraine and Finland was given as a gift by Lenin to the Finns. Both gifts were only meant as temporary, the Russians will take them both back whenever they want. But things like these don't need to bother the rest of you at all.
2014 Sep 02 14:20
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo

England

Um, Finland is inhabited by Finns, and the Crimea... by Russians. :/

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2014 Sep 02 14:25
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

(2014 Sep 02 14:25)Osweo Wrote:  Um, Finland is inhabited by Finns, and the Crimea... by Russians. :/

And northern Bosnia was inhabited by Croatians, and now it's part of Republic Srpska.

Not the best argument, to be honest.
But I generally lean towards your side here, as Russia, in an international context, isn't even remotely imperious as Serbia was in its regional during the 90's. The Western states are the hypocrites here. I tend to support Vlad.

Samo kurvi i konobaru pare ostavljam.
2014 Sep 03 00:12
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Aramis's post:
Osweo (03-09-2014), Temnozor (10-02-2015)
Kat

Suomi

(2014 Sep 02 14:25)Osweo Wrote:  Um, Finland is inhabited by Finns, and the Crimea... by Russians. :/

That was never a problem to Russia in the past so why now?
2014 Sep 03 16:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Erwann
Make Armorica Great Again
Supervision

Breizh

Russia sanctions have cost EU 21 bn euros: Spain
Quote:Russia sanctions have cost EU 21 bn euros: Spain

Brussels (AFP) - The EU has suffered 21 billion euros in lost exports as a result of sanctions against Russia over Ukraine, Spain's foreign minister said Monday as he met his counterparts to discuss further measures.

"Sanctions have had a heavy cost for us all, the EU has so far lost 21 billion euros ($23.7 billion). In Spain we have been badly hit in terms of agriculture and tourism," said Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo, giving the first figure of its kind for the EU.

The European Union has become increasingly divided over the tough economic sanctions that it has progressively imposed on Russia since July, with some member states fearing for their trade ties with Moscow.

Exports for the 28-nation bloc to Russia in 2013 amounted to 119 billion euros, according to EU figures.

EU foreign ministers were meant to agree on adding further individuals to the Ukraine blacklist at a meeting in Brussels on Monday, but with a four-way peace summit in Minsk looming this week they appeared to be having second thoughts.

"Ministers are discussing the handling of the Ukraine item" on their agenda, which was meant to have been passed automatically, a diplomatic source told AFP.

Source
2015 Feb 10 14:47
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Erwann's post:
Aemma (12-02-2015), Aptrgangr (10-02-2015), Osweo (11-02-2015)
Godyfa
Daughter of Yorkshire

England

Europe had no little reason to be against Russia. Sure, it's ruled by an authoritarian regime, not exactly what Europe would want, but Russia's internal affairs shouldn't bother us.

By invading Crimea and then the Donbas, the first of their type in Europe since the 1940s, Russia and Putin have shot themselves in the foot. The irrelevancy of NATO no longer applies. Putin couldn't have done this if Ukraine (or Georgia) were in NATO, and can't do it to the Baltics because they are in both the EU and NATO.

That said I don't think Britain needs to get heavily involved in the crisis. That should be left to Germany, Poland, or other such Central European states. And certainly the US doesn't need to interfere.
2015 Feb 11 17:06
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

(2015 Feb 11 17:06)Godyfa Wrote:  Europe had no little reason to be against Russia. Sure, it's ruled by an authoritarian regime, not exactly what Europe would want, but Russia's internal affairs shouldn't bother us.
Are you saying we Europeans do not live under authoritarian regimes? Because we can tick boxes on scraps of paper deciding on which clown will run the Punch and Judy show for the next four years?
(2015 Feb 11 17:06)Godyfa Wrote:  By invading Crimea and then the Donbas,
tip: look up the definition of "invasion".
(2015 Feb 11 17:06)Godyfa Wrote:  the first of their type in Europe since the 1940s, Russia and Putin have shot themselves in the foot.
The situation is incomparable, the Soviet invasion of the Baltic countries denied the right of their self-determination, the Crimean re-union with Russia enabled the self-determination of Crimean Russians.
(2015 Feb 11 17:06)Godyfa Wrote:  The irrelevancy of NATO no longer applies. Putin couldn't have done this if Ukraine (or Georgia) were in NATO, and can't do it to the Baltics because they are in both the EU and NATO.
If. And you seem to forget Georgia attacked Russia and hoped for NATO to help, neither did Russia start the trouble in the Ukraine, it just delivered some equipment and ammunition so the Russophones are not completely helpless. Meanwhile joining NATO is a precondition for EU membership anyway.
(2015 Feb 11 17:06)Godyfa Wrote:  That said I don't think Britain needs to get heavily involved in the crisis. That should be left to Germany, Poland, or other such Central European states. And certainly the US doesn't need to interfere.
No thanks, "our" involvment messed up everything.
http://forumeuropa.net/showthread.php?tid=4639

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2015 Feb 11 19:46
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aptrgangr's post:
Osweo (11-02-2015)
Jarmo

Sverige

(2014 Aug 16 17:50)Phlegethon Wrote:  Only Germany hates you all! ;)

No true.

WWII weres for 70 year back.

Newtime in new lifes after 1945.

George W Bush is born in 1940's if I knows right.

My father is born in 1950's. Living life in Finland after he moved from Sweden 1989.

My sister in Gotland and cousin in Spain have children 2014 and 2015.

My step father is grand father with my sisters children.

Germany are liebe today.
2015 Apr 13 16:31
Like PostLIKE REPLY