Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind
Kat

Suomi

Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind
Quote:Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

By Rory Cellan-Jones Technology correspondent

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

But others are less gloomy about AI's prospects.

The theoretical physicist, who has the motor neurone disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is using a new system developed by Intel to speak.

Machine learning experts from the British company Swiftkey were also involved in its creation. Their technology, already employed as a smartphone keyboard app, learns how the professor thinks and suggests the words he might want to use next.

Prof Hawking says the primitive forms of artificial intelligence developed so far have already proved very useful, but he fears the consequences of creating something that can match or surpass humans.

"It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.

"Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."

But others are less pessimistic.

"I believe we will remain in charge of the technology for a decently long time and the potential of it to solve many of the world problems will be realised," said Rollo Carpenter, creator of Cleverbot.

Read more

I too worry about artificial minds. After all, we have seen The Terminator...Huh?
2014 Dec 02 16:05
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Kat's post:
Tintagell (04-12-2014), W. R. (04-12-2014)
Duke

Hrvatska

RE: Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind
(2014 Dec 02 16:05)Kristel Wrote:  
Quote:Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

By Rory Cellan-Jones Technology correspondent

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

But others are less gloomy about AI's prospects.

The theoretical physicist, who has the motor neurone disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is using a new system developed by Intel to speak.

Machine learning experts from the British company Swiftkey were also involved in its creation. Their technology, already employed as a smartphone keyboard app, learns how the professor thinks and suggests the words he might want to use next.

Prof Hawking says the primitive forms of artificial intelligence developed so far have already proved very useful, but he fears the consequences of creating something that can match or surpass humans.

"It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.

"Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."

But others are less pessimistic.

"I believe we will remain in charge of the technology for a decently long time and the potential of it to solve many of the world problems will be realised," said Rollo Carpenter, creator of Cleverbot.

Read more

I too worry about artificial minds. After all, we have seen The Terminator...Huh?

its the truth, humans rule planet because we are most intelligent beings on it, if we made something more intelligent then us, it could easily take over.

Even if its in controlled environment, down the line it will break lose
2014 Dec 02 16:07
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Duke's post:
Kat (03-12-2014), Tintagell (04-12-2014)
Osweo

England

Pfff, GENUINE intelligence is doing a good enough job of ending mankind from where I'm looking at it! Give me a Terminator to face any day, instead of the firmly entrenched omnipotent politico-media class and their masters! Big Grin

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2014 Dec 02 21:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Osweo's post:
Aptrgangr (02-12-2014), Kat (03-12-2014)
Kat

Suomi

(2014 Dec 02 21:01)Osweo Wrote:  Pfff, GENUINE intelligence is doing a good enough job of ending mankind from where I'm looking at it! Give me a Terminator to face any day, instead of the firmly entrenched omnipotent politico-media class and their masters! Big Grin

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't ;)
2014 Dec 03 23:22
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Kat's post:
Tintagell (04-12-2014)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

We think of artificial intelligence as of something that works like human intelligence, but we forget how biological the man is. Any kind of will: will to live, will to power, plain survival instinct as well as curiosity, love, hate are rather biological, than results of logical thinking. Machines can't have anything like this.

We live and kick because it's our nature. Machines with self-awareness will be deprived of that, and thus very different from us. They will simply lack motivation to kill us, because they will have no fear of us, no hate for us, they will not even have survival instinct to protect themselves if we decide to terminate them.

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
2014 Dec 04 13:09
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like W. R.'s post:
Kat (04-12-2014), Tintagell (04-12-2014)
Tintagell
Chthonic

England

People will often think I'm crazy for warning about artificial intelligence, but all I can see are people taking it all for granted and not being able to realise the mistakes they made until it is far too late.

Battlestar Galactica anyone? How about Mass Effect?
2014 Dec 04 15:12
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Tintagell's post:
Kat (04-12-2014)
Osweo

England

Quote:Battlestar Galactica anyone?
Nope. Buck Rogers.

Fuck yes, I can't wait.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2014 Dec 04 17:07
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Osweo's post:
Kat (04-12-2014)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

I can't wait for RoboHoWa

totalitARYAN
2014 Dec 04 20:52
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Surtr Kvlt's post:
Kat (04-12-2014)
Kat

Suomi

(2014 Dec 04 13:09)W. R. Wrote:  They will simply lack motivation to kill us, because they will have no fear of us, no hate for us, they will not even have survival instinct to protect themselves if we decide to terminate them.

Yes, but if somebody would program them that it's their job to terminate us? They don't have to hate us or fear us for that.
2014 Dec 04 21:27
Like PostLIKE REPLY