Food bank use jumps 20% in Wales
Godyfa
Daughter of Yorkshire

England

Food bank use jumps 20% in Wales
Quote:The number of people using food banks in Wales has continued to rise, according to latest figures for 2014.

In the six months to September, 39,174 people were given three days' emergency food from the network of centres run by the Trussell Trust.

This is a 20% rise on the same period in 2013.

But the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said there was "no convincing evidence" linking benefit changes and more use of food banks.

[Image: _79739579_foodbanksgraph1.jpg]

In Wales, those helped included more than 13,200 children.

The most common reasons for seeking help are benefit delays, low income and benefit changes.

Oxfam Cymru has blamed a "perfect storm" of "benefit cuts, low wages, sanctions and insecure jobs".

But Works and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith has said it was "quite wrong" to suggest it was just to do with benefits-related problems.

The DWP has consistently claimed welfare changes are not to blame.

A spokesman added: "The reality is the vast majority of benefits are processed on time, with improvements being made year on year.

"And we continue to spend £94bn a year on working age benefits to ensure there is a strong safety net in place."

[Image: _79746763_foodbanktable2.jpg]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30446033
2014 Dec 25 07:09
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Godyfa's post:
Aemma (27-12-2014), Aptrgangr (25-12-2014), Osweo (27-12-2014)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

RE: Food bank use jumps 20% in Wales
Being on the dole for a substantial amount of time through Iain Duncan Smith's DWP reign I can tell you that he and the DWP spokesmen are all full of shit. Not to mention pretty much every Tory that says anything about the welfare state. Not that it isn't obvious anyway.

totalitARYAN
2014 Dec 26 03:28
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Aemma (27-12-2014), Osweo (27-12-2014)
Godyfa
Daughter of Yorkshire

England

RE: Food bank use jumps 20% in Wales
(2014 Dec 26 03:28)Surtr Kvlt Wrote:  Being on the dole for a substantial amount of time through Iain Duncan Smith's DWP reign I can tell you that he and the DWP spokesmen are all full of shit. Not to mention pretty much every Tory that says anything about the welfare state. Not that it isn't obvious anyway.
I receive carer's allowance and Disability living allowance, living together with my grandma. I have my own fair share of bad experiences with the DWP too.

I was much younger at the time and can't remember much, but in 2008, a white South African woman really mistreated my grandma, and our benefits were frozen for a couple of weeks. Just before we run out of rent money, the ruling was overturned. We actually won the appeal against this woman - something that almost never happens.

Last year, the government decided that the bedroom I live is "uninhabited". We also have another bedroom that is genuinely uninhabited. We would pay double bedroom tax, but one is knocked off for being a carer's household.
2014 Dec 26 10:29
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Godyfa's post:
Aemma (27-12-2014), Osweo (27-12-2014), Surtr Kvlt (26-12-2014), W. R. (26-12-2014)