Slavthread
Mylene

Србија

RE: Slavthread
(2015 Jan 04 17:31)Temnozor Wrote:  I stumbled upon a very disturbing Turkish loanword in your Balkan tongues. I was very disappointed to learn that you have no proper Slavic word for "enemy" and really use "dušmani" - that's just shamefure! Russians referred in that way only to their enemies in Afghanistan and later Chechnya, making the nickname "duhi" (I'd translate it as "ghosts", but actually it's "spirits") out of it for them. That's a most disgusting durka durka word! PERKELE

(Never mind, though, our Russian word for "money" is of Finnish Mongol origin PERKELE )

We do have proper word for enemy- neprijatelj, neprijatelji (the one who is not a friend), and this is how we translate the word enemy to Serbian. It's much more used that the word you've mentioned. "Dušmani" is word that is rarely used, especially not among more educated people. It exist, but it's not common to use it in everyday talk.

coffee
2015 Jan 04 20:07
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Mylene's post:
Temnozor (04-01-2015)
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

Serbs being oblivious again Big Grin

Samo kurvi i konobaru pare ostavljam.
2015 Jan 04 20:20
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aramis's post:
Dussander (05-01-2015)
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

And something non çetnik, but Yugoslavian:

And for the Slavonians!

On a serious note, "neprijatelj" is more common in use. "Dušman" is mostly used nowadays to create a dramatic and poetic effect. ;)

(This post was last modified: 2015 Jan 04 20:24 by Aramis.)
2015 Jan 04 20:22
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aramis's post:
Dussander (05-01-2015)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

(2015 Jan 04 20:07)Mylene Wrote:  We do have proper word for enemy- neprijatelj, neprijatelji (the one who is not a friend), and this is how we translate the word enemy to Serbian. It's much more used that the word you've mentioned. "Dušmani" is word that is rarely used, especially not among more educated people. It exist, but it's not common to use it in everyday talk.

(2015 Jan 04 20:22)Aramis Wrote:  On a serious note, "neprijatelj" is more common in use. "Dušman" is mostly used nowadays to create a dramatic and poetic effect. ;)

But "not-friend" isn't proper (Russian has that too). We and most other Slavs use "vrag":

Quote:Происходит от общеслав. формы *vorgъ, ср: др.-русск. ворогъ, ст.-слав. врагъ (ἐχθρός; Клоц., Супр.), русск. враг (из церк.-слав. взамен исконнорусск. ворог), укр. во́рог, белор. во́рог, болг. враг, сербохорв. вра̑г, словенск. vrȃg «дьявол, черт», чешск. vrah, словацк. vrah «убийца», польск. wróg (род. п. wroga) «враг». Родственнно лит. var̃gas «беда, нужда», латышск. vā̀rgs 1. «болезненный, хилый; жалкий, убогий», 2. «беда, бедствие», др.-прусск. wargs «злой», лит. var̃gti «бедствовать», латышск. vãrgt «чахнуть, прозябать», лит. vérgas «раб», далее, возм., готск. wrikan «преследовать», wraks «гонитель», лат. urgeō «тесню, гоню»

(I hope you can make out the Slavrunes)

Interestingly, Serbo-Croatian is listed there as well (сербохорв. вра̑г), but I didn't find such a word in the dictionaries I use.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2015 Jan 04 20:33
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Osweo (05-01-2015)
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

Vrag exists, but it simply means Devil, or an evil person generally speaking. Together with Đavo (from the greek Διάβολος).

Dušman and neprijatelj are the only words for enemy I know of. Dušman usually has a harder connotation to it, representing some kind of permanent state.

2015 Jan 04 20:38
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Aramis's post:
Dussander (05-01-2015), Mylene (04-01-2015), Osweo (05-01-2015), Temnozor (04-01-2015)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

(2015 Jan 04 20:38)Aramis Wrote:  Dušman and neprijatelj are the only words for enemy I know of. Dušman usually has a harder connotation to it, representing some kind of permanent state.

[Image: url.jpg]

Big Grin

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

2015 Jan 04 20:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo

England

Ukh-ty, 'pochyotny slavyanin', spasibo bolshoe! Ya tol'ko chto zametil thread! Big Grin
(2015 Jan 04 01:37)Temnozor Wrote:  PRAVDA MEANS JUSTICE!?! speechless
Na Dunae i na Volge...
Quote:Ру́сская Пра́вда (древнерус. правда роусьскаΙа, или правда рускаа, здесь «правда» в значении лат. iustitia, греч. δικαίομα) — сборник правовых норм Киевской Руси. Связана с Ярославом Мудрым.
;)
Skoree vsego, eto staroslavyanskoe vzvaimstvovanie.

Ya by uchastvoval zdes' ranshe, no ya na samom dele strashno zabolel - vot teper' eto slovo rozumaete, dorogie Balkantsy! Tongue Ya uzhasno soplivy seichas. Net nichego krome soply v zhizne moei. Bednenky ya.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2015 Jan 05 02:31
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Osweo's post:
Dussander (05-01-2015), Temnozor (05-01-2015)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

Quote:Na Dunae i na Volge...

Sovetskoe kino mne navralo. sad

Ihnie slova ne znaćat tože samoe, ćto i naši! Voobshe, "slovo" eto po-serbski "bukva"! sad

Quote:Skoree vsego, eto staroslavyanskoe vzvaimstvovanie.

Nu, po suti dela, vse eti slova proizvodjatsja ot "pravi", takže i sama "spravedlivost'", tak ćto, ne trudno sebe predstavit', kak odni i te že slova priobreli raznye znaćenija. Hotja, inogda eto prosto uže dohodit do komićnosti (kak, naprimer, v slućaje "ponosa"). Tongue

(2015 Jan 05 02:31)Osweo Wrote:  Ya by uchastvoval zdes' ranshe, no ya na samom dele strashno zabolel - vot teper' eto slovo rozumaete, dorogie Balkantsy! Tongue Ya uzhasno soplivy seichas. Net nichego krome soply v zhizne moei. Bednenky ya.

Ja uže dve nedeli kak s postojannym kašlem, nenavižu zimu. Hotja ja i leto nenavižu. Etot mir užasen. sad

2015 Jan 05 02:46
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Osweo (08-01-2015)
Aemma

France

May I interject in English and wish Mylene a Срећан Божић, WR a з калядамі, and Temnozor a с рождеством?

And a "Good Epiphany" to the rest of my Slavic friends here??

Thanks.

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2015 Jan 05 23:41
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Aemma's post:
Osweo (08-01-2015), Temnozor (06-01-2015), W. R. (08-01-2015)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

English is a legitimate Slavic language, so I approve of it (and thanks). Also, just so you know, while the Serbian one actually translates as "Merry Christmas", the Russian and Belarusian ones just mean "with Christmas" (or rather "for Christmas" in an English context), meaning "I congratulate you for Christmas" - the actual "congratulation" part being simply omited. So, just so you know, "a с рождеством" sounds a little strange. Big Grin

2015 Jan 06 00:28
Like PostLIKE REPLY