Swedes 'slack off' for two hours each day
Godyfa
Daughter of Yorkshire

England

Swedes 'slack off' for two hours each day
Quote:New research has found that Swedish workers are spending more and more time each day doing something other than working, including anything from surfing the net, booking holidays, or chatting to friends.

Working hard or hardly working?

If you thought the Swede sitting across from you in the office was typing so fast because he was an industrious worker, you may be mistaken.

New research suggests that Swedes are quite likely to be using the office computer for leisure for an average of two hours a day.

"It's quite strange. Especially considering that we're getting in reports about how work is intensifying at most work places and how stressed everyone is," sociologist Roland Paulsen at Lund University told the TT news agency.

"The people I've interviewed spent half their day doing private things. Exactly why they do this can vary, but it's often understood that their work is meaningless or boring. Or they simply don't have enough to do."

His research found that another problem was that bosses just weren't aware of how long jobs should take, due to their own incompetencies, or that they're distracted by other administrative tasks.

Paulsen suggested that while stricter supervision and internet history checks could indeed improve worker performance, he's not convinced it's the cure.

Paulsen has published a book on the topic, "Empty Labor: Idleness and Workplace Resistance", which has found a keen international audience.
http://www.thelocal.se/20150106/swedes-s...s-each-day
2015 Jan 06 16:48
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Godyfa's post:
Aemma (07-01-2015), Kat (08-01-2015), W. R. (08-01-2015)
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

RE: Swedes 'slack off' for two hours each day
If the Swedes are spending only two hours per days on facebook when they should be working, why, they're veritable paragons of efficiency!

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2015 Jan 06 20:53
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Eldritch's post:
Aemma (07-01-2015), Dussander (06-01-2015), W. R. (08-01-2015)
Gamera
Panic, I'm not Germanic

España

Just 2 hours?

Well, in my case, Forum Europa is one of my guilty pleasures at work. Like right now. sad

But this is nothing next to my boss. He spends at least half of this day watching Netflix... while I do most of his work. That bastard!

“I'm an economist. I've even got a PhD in Economics. Yet, I'm a good person, I swear!” - Rafael Correa, president of Ecuador
2015 Jan 06 21:19
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Gamera's post:
Aemma (07-01-2015), Surtr Kvlt (06-01-2015)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

I once had to work next to some twat that spent his day laughing at 'funny' pictures on Facebook, talking to people on Facebook and even straight up playing games whilst the boss wasn't in. Demotivating. I watched some documentaries whilst working (was a repetitive task so it was doable at a relaxed pace) after trying to put up with that if I found myself switching off and daydreaming.

totalitARYAN
2015 Jan 06 22:10
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

In my job every keystroke and phone call is recorded, screenshots are taken by surveillance software every 5 minutes and your web browser history is recorded as well. Technically you could get fired after having sent just one private email. Folks lost their jobs for recharging their cell phones in the workplace here.

My own empirical studies show that Scandinavians at work (and that includes Finns) are less productive than me on vacation.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2015 Jan 07 01:53
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

Are you in the GDR?

totalitARYAN
2015 Jan 07 02:10
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

Hey, 1984 was 30 years ago. Orwell couldn't have imagined it.

On the other hand, don't you live in a country which is famous for almost universal CCTV coverage of the so-called public space?

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2015 Jan 07 02:16
Like PostLIKE REPLY