Construction of a pagan temple to begin in Reykjavík next month
Blackthorne

England

RE: Construction of a pagan temple to begin in Reykjavík next month
(2015 Jan 13 22:45)Eldritch Wrote:  I don't mind that building's modern (pagans need to develop with the times too), but I do that it's ugly. sad

Tackiness is in vogue these days in our decadent, debauched culture in the West.

In the old days the heathens worshipped in groves of oak trees or some place like this:

[Image: D-50-NorseChurchHM.jpg]

It's a church not a heathen temple btw but whutever. It's based upon a traditional form of architecture that was adopted/adapted from the old religion to the new religion.

These days formerly Catholic parishes- and some of them old, beautiful buildings- are being sold to muzzies so that the followers of the old serpent can make mosques. Hmm... PERKELE

Frankly I find contemporary heathen folk to be much less troublesome than the muzzies- they will at least acknowledge a bond with like-minded Christians (i.e. save what's left of Western civilization).

You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out!
2015 Jan 14 08:46
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Blackthorne's post:
Aemma (14-01-2015), Eldritch (14-01-2015), Osweo (15-01-2015)
Osweo

England

The nature of a building for worship has, or should have, a lot to say about the nature of the worship and worldviews engaged in and held within. I couldn't help but think of Oswald Spengler's musings on the 'Vault' and 'Cavern' of the Middle Eastern 'Magian' Civilisation when I saw the dome and the vast blank walls of the surrounding 'grain silos' here! See:

Quote:Compare with the Faustian spirit of these churches — almost wall-less, loftily vaulted,
irradiated with many-coloured light, aspiring from nave to choir — the Arabian (that is, the Early-Christian Byzantine) cupola-church. The pendentive cupola, that seems to float on high above the basilica or the octagon, was indeed also a victory over the principle of natural gravity which the Classical expressed in architrave and column; it, too, was a defiance of architectural body, of "exterior." But the very absence of an exterior emphasizes the more the unbroken coherence of the wall that shuts in the Cavern and allows no look and no hope to emerge from it. An ingeniously confusing interpenetration of spherical and polygonal forms; a load so placed upon a stone drum that it seems to hover weightless on high, yet closing the interior without outlet; all structural lines concealed; vague light admitted, through a small opening in the heart of the dome but only the more inexorably to emphasize the walling-in — such are the characters that we see in the masterpieces of this art, S. Vitale in Ravenna, Hagia S Sophia in Constantinople, and the Dome of the Rock l in Jerusalem. Where the Egyptian puts reliefs that with their flat planes studiously avoid any foreshortening suggestive of lateral depth, where the Gothic architects put their pictures of glass to draw in the world of space without, the Magian clothes his walls with sparkling, predominantly golden, mosaics and arabesques and so drowns his cavern in that unreal, fairy-tale light which for Northerners is always so seductive in Moorish art.
The idea actualized here is at once a liberation from all earth-gravity and a capture of space, and between this element and that of the dome which soars free but yet encloses the great "cavern," there is the deep relation of like meaning.
Every Culture actualizes here its prime symbol. Each has its own sort of love — we may call it heavenly or metaphysical as we choose — with which it contemplates, comprehends, and takes into itself its godhead, and which remains to every other Culture inaccessible or unmeaning. Whether the world be something set under a domed light-cavern, as it was for Jesus and his
companions, or just a vanishingly small bit of a star-filled infinity, as Giordano Bruno felt it;
The exterior of the basilica and the domical building may be a field for ornamentation, but architecture it is not. The impression that meets the beholder as he approaches is that of some-
thing shielding, something that hides a secret. The form-language in the cavern-twilight exists for the faithful only — that is the factor common to the highest examples of the style and to the simplest Mithraea and Catacombs, the prime powerful utterance of a new soul. Now, as soon as the Germanic spirit takes possession of the basilical type, there begins a wondrous mutation
of all structural parts, as to both position and significance. Here in the Faustian North the outer form of the building, be it cathedral or mere dwelling-house, begins to be brought into relation with the meaning that governs the arrangement of the interior, a meaning undisclosed in the mosque and non-existent in the temple.
The Faustian strove through all sensuous barriers towards infinity — and it projected the centre of gravity of the pictorial idea into the distance by means of perspective. The Magian felt all happening as an expression of mysterious powers that filled the world-cavern with their spiritual substance — and it shut off the depicted scene with a gold background, that is, by something that stood beyond and outside all nature-colours.

Seems to me that blank sheer walls and bold geometry is more befitting of a monotheistic worldview, in which we are to pass over the variety and focus on the One. Perhaps more appropriate visual language for polytheists would evoke the teeming nature of reality. Our old animal knotwork went some way to achieve this, perhaps. The natural world is to be looked upon as inhabited and driven by countless personalities, with little meaningful difference or distinction between the physical and the spiritual. 'Busy' designs are not incompatible with bold imposing forms, either, as Gothic cathedrals well demonstrate.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2015 Jan 15 21:56
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Osweo's post:
Aemma (15-01-2015), Aramis (16-01-2015), Mustapaita (15-01-2015)
Aemma

France

This is an overhead view of the new temple:

[Image: 2cqgt2o.jpg]

Which kind of puts me in mind of this Icelandic stave:

[Image: 2mzh6s4.png]

And the other image up thread puts me in mind of this Icelandic stave:

[Image: vwwwb4.jpg]

Apparently those 'silos' are geothermal holding tanks...or some such.

I dunno. Maybe they were going for a really 'esoteric aesthetic' that the general population might not even recognise but some or many pagans would?

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2015 Jan 15 22:41
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aemma's post:
Osweo (15-01-2015)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

Looks like they are hiding a Metal Gear there.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2015 Jan 15 23:19
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Blackthorne (16-01-2015)
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

I wonder what the interior will look like...

Samo kurvi i konobaru pare ostavljam.
2015 Jan 15 23:38
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Blackthorne

England

(2015 Jan 15 22:41)Aemma Wrote:  I dunno. Maybe they were going for a really 'esoteric aesthetic' that the general population might not even recognise but some or many pagans would?

Now it looks more space agey from that perspective- maybe a NASA facility. That dome at the top could open up and a telescope could pop out for a look at the stars. Hmm...

It's not very flattering imo.

You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out!
2015 Jan 16 06:17
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Blackthorne's post:
Aemma (16-01-2015)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

(2015 Jan 15 23:38)Aramis Wrote:  I wonder what the interior will look like...

[Image: 3sd4kane.jpg]

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2015 Jan 16 14:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Osweo (18-01-2015)
Aramis
Angloholic

Hrvatska

(2015 Jan 16 14:26)Temnozor Wrote:  
(2015 Jan 15 23:38)Aramis Wrote:  I wonder what the interior will look like...

[Image: 3sd4kane.jpg]

Looks more fun than...

[Image: _49727047_jex_853987_de01-1.jpg]

[Image: druids_pagans_revellers_stonehenge.jpg]

We need hardcore aggressive folks, and these costumed wimps. Drukas will know.

Samo kurvi i konobaru pare ostavljam.
2015 Jan 16 15:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aramis's post:
Osweo (18-01-2015)