NAFTA’s Broken Promises 1994 - 2013: Outcomes of the North American Free Trade Agreem
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

NAFTA’s Broken Promises 1994 - 2013: Outcomes of the North American Free Trade Agreem
NAFTA’s Broken Promises 1994 - 2013:
Outcomes of the North American Free Trade Agreement

http://www.citizen.org/documents/NAFTAs-...omises.pdf

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2015 Feb 03 13:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Gamera (06-02-2015), Xmia (04-02-2015)
Aemma

France

N’s Broken Promises 1994 - 2013: Outcomes of the North American Free Trade Agreem
OK I lost interest after the first paragraph. Hardly a balanced report which mostly comes across as American griping. There are two other countries in this deal and I haven't seen anything mentioned about the deleterious effects of NAFTA for them.

I'm no fan of NAFTA either but still; this is much too one-sided of a report.

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2015 Feb 03 14:00
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

RE: NAFTA’s Broken Promises 1994 - 2013: Outcomes of the North American
It is a group that wants its agenda to be promoted, nothing else, Mexicans and Canadians can start their own groups... ;)

[Image: yz27vk82.jpg]

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2015 Feb 06 03:04
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Aemma (06-02-2015), Osweo (06-02-2015)
Gamera
Panic, I'm not Germanic

España

RE: NAFTA’s Broken Promises 1994 - 2013: Outcomes of the North American
Mexican Farmers Affected By Agricultural Subsidies From NAFTA, Other International Agreements

Quote:Who pays for agricultural subsidies? Agricultural dumping between the United States and Latin American countries have swept agricultural production and prices in nearby countries while increasing displaced rural workers’ migration.

Leticia and her family came from Mexico in 2004 because their small dairy farm operation went downhill. Her father used to lease a piece of land and raise dairy cows, selling the production to Nestle Waters of North America.

“My father and other dairy farmers belonged to a small cooperative renting a bulk milk cooler. Once a week, Nestle trucks came and picked up the milk and cream to be transported to the factories,” Leticia told VOXXI in an interview. However, in 2003 Nestle dropped the price of milk they were paying to small producers and started being inconsistent with weekly pickups. Several times, the milk got spoiled because of lack of transportation.

Leticia’s family headed north the following year.

This Mexican family might never know that their story is just one of a million similar stories taking place every year due to the powerlessness of Mexican farmers to compete with the United States’ agricultural dumping.

“… NAFTA liberalized agricultural trade dramatically over a short period of time, Mexico imports most basic grains and meats almost exclusively from the United States, and Mexican farmers grow many of the crops that compete with the imports,” wrote Timothy A. Wise, Director of the Research and Policy Program at the Global Development and Environment Institute at Tufts University, in a column for Triple Crisis. Wise chairs the Institute’s Globalization and Sustainable Development Program (GDAE).

The dairy industry, an example of a subsidized industry

[...]

The 1994 NAFTA agreement, the most important bilateral trade agreement that included dairy products, removed all dairy tariffs for trade with Mexico. However, Canada excluded dairy products in their portion of the NAFTA agreement.

These are the real reasons behind Leticia’s family loss of their livelihood.

The impact of NAFTA and other international agreements in combination with U.S. agricultural subsidies expel millions of Mexicans and other rural workers from their countries of origin into the United States territory every year.

[...]

For all products, Mexican producers’ prices fell from 44 to 67 percent from early 1990’s levels, declining local production and increasing import dependency. Mexican crop production also fell except for corn and meats, which at lower prices, was rapidly adopted for consumption in the Mexican families’ diet.

“An estimated 2.3 million people have left agriculture in a country desperate for livelihoods,” said Wise. The study estimated that the cost to Mexican producers was around $12.8 billion in the nine-year period, more than 10 percent of the U.S.-Mexico agricultural trade value annually.

The other cost, the one that we, north of the border pay, is the constant migration of these displaced rural workers into the United States

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11...57845.html

After 20 Years, NAFTA Leaves Mexico’s Economy in Ruins

Quote:Twenty years ago, on Jan. 1, 1994, a trade deal championed by Democratic President Bill Clinton went into effect. The North American Free Trade Agreement was meant to integrate the economies of the United States, Canada and Mexico by breaking down trade barriers among them, creating jobs and closing the wage gap between the U.S. and Mexico.

What in fact happened under NAFTA was that heavily subsidized U.S. corn flooded the Mexican market, putting millions of farmers out of work. Multinational corporations opened up factories creating low-wage jobs at the expense of organized labor and the environment. This, in turn, drove waves of migration north.

Meanwhile, corporate profits soared, and Mexico boasted the richest man in the world, Carlos Slim. Walmart and Krispy Kreme conquered Mexico, and ordinary Mexicans had access to the same consumer goods as their neighbors to the north. The economies of all three nations, measured only by GDP rather than jobs or wages, were pronounced grand successes, even though the U.S. and Canada disproportionately reaped more financial benefits.

Meanwhile, in the U.S., manufacturing jobs fell dramatically and organized labor lost even more clout. The Great Recession of 2008 worsened the downward trend, especially for Mexicans. Mexico’s economy, tied intimately to the U.S.’ because of NAFTA, suffered more than any other country in Latin America.

News reports on NAFTA’s anniversary point out that as a result of the free trade agreement, Mexicans today can buy designer sneakers or iPhones. Manuel Perez-Rocha, an associate fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington, D.C., and a Mexican national, told me in an interview, “This is a new spin—praising the riches of consumerism. All these new analyses about how Mexico is becoming a more middle-class society and able to buy more products from the United States—it’s just baloney. According to official statistics from Mexico, most Mexicans are poor and belong to the lower class, and this is the reason why there has been so much migration to the United States.”

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/afte...s_20140109

“I'm an economist. I've even got a PhD in Economics. Yet, I'm a good person, I swear!” - Rafael Correa, president of Ecuador
2015 Feb 06 18:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Gamera's post:
Aptrgangr (07-02-2015), Dussander (08-02-2015), Godyfa (06-02-2015), Osweo (06-02-2015)