MPs say yes to three-person babies
Godyfa
Daughter of Yorkshire

England

MPs say yes to three-person babies
Quote:MPs have voted in favour of the creation of babies with DNA from two women and one man.

In a free vote in the Commons, 382 were in favour and 128 against the technique that prevents deadly genetic diseases being passed from mother to child.

During the debate, ministers said the technique was "light at the end of a dark tunnel" for families.

The UK is now set to become the first country to introduce laws to allow the creation of babies from three people.

A further vote is required in the House of Lords. It everything goes ahead then the first such baby could be born next year.

Life-saving

The technique, which was developed in Newcastle, should help women like Sharon Bernardi, from Sunderland, who lost all seven of her children to mitochondrial disease.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31069173
2015 Feb 03 17:19
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Godyfa's post:
Osweo (03-02-2015), Violet (04-02-2015), W. R. (03-02-2015)
Aemma

France

RE: MPs say yes to three-person babies
Gotta love the English! They're always on the cutting edge of creating Frankenhumans. First it was cloning and now this.

Big Grin

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
(This post was last modified: 2015 Feb 04 07:15 by Aemma.)
2015 Feb 03 17:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Aemma's post:
Blackthorne (04-02-2015), Violet (03-02-2015)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

DNA from one woman is bad enough already.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2015 Feb 04 00:28
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Tintagell
Chthonic

England

This....isn't right.

If someone's genes are that bad, then they shouldn't be having babies in the first place.
2015 Feb 04 05:02
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Tintagell's post:
Aemma (04-02-2015)
Violet
Grand Member

England

Unfortunately, mitochondrial replacement isn't a treatment for mitochondrial disease, nor does it help those already living with Leigh disease (what Bernardi's children died from), a progressive neurological disease with a poor prognosis.

Send me the pillow... The one that you dream on.
2015 Feb 04 07:12
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Violet's post:
Aemma (04-02-2015)
Blackthorne

England

They used to burn freaks and weirdos with fire in the old days. Tis a pity modern culture is dictated to by lunatics and people with spines made of soap (i.e. the bearers of 'political-correctness'.).

You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out!
2015 Feb 04 09:11
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Violet
Grand Member

England

(2015 Feb 04 09:11)Blackthorne Wrote:  They used to burn freaks and weirdos with fire in the old days. Tis a pity modern culture is dictated to by lunatics and people with spines made of soap (i.e. the bearers of 'political-correctness'.).

Who should be burned with fire? The MPs?

Send me the pillow... The one that you dream on.
2015 Feb 04 09:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

Are we finally entering the age of designer babies for the rich?

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2015 Feb 04 11:49
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Osweo

England

Two methods are shown:
[Image: _62907355_pnt_slide1_624x398_2.gif]
[Image: _62905219_pnt_slide2_624x398.gif]

The first shows the destruction of an embryo, i.e. a living thing with the potential to grow into a human being. Or "a human being", as some would have it. There is a clear ethical issue here.
The second is less clear cut, as it´s an unfertilised egg that gets ripped up for spare parts, i.e. something millions upon millions of women throw in the bin every day wrapped in a sanitary towel, or flush down the toilet to block drains and cause pain in the fucking arse mither for male small-business owners or their sons who then have to stick their hands in this shit, piss and blood to fix the facilities provided for stupid irresponsible female employees. PERKELE

The ethical issue in the second case is all about slippery slope stuff, I suppose. It´s not massively different from standard In Vitro Fertility practice, and the question for both is one of necessity. Couldn´t the woman with shit mitochondria just adopt a baby?! Sure, it´s a second or third best option, but we don´t always get what we want in life. Is there an age factor in fucking up the mitochondria? The women in question are obviously alive and well themselves, so their own mitochondria they got off their mothers are in operation, so is this a problem that has occured in their ovaries, due to leaving far too long the matter of breeding?

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2015 Feb 04 12:05
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

Mutation can happen between one generation. Age, drugs and environment can cause mutation.

I don't like the arrogance of people that we are now modifying/swapping the DNA of plants, animals and humans directly. The mitochondrial DNA swap is somewhat minor luckily.

It's going to create some weird fuck ups in ancestry DNA research in the future I would imagine... incoming African mtDNA haplogroups in whites.

I can't stand the stuff about Bernadi who went on to try to have three more children after learning of her defective mitochondria. Disgusting. Why are people so arrogant that they believe they are entitled to their own sprogs? Give up and adopt or get a cat or something.

And all this whining about preventing human suffering - sterilise them so they can't try make more defectives and then send them to an adoption agency.

totalitARYAN
2015 Feb 04 13:41
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Mustapaita (04-02-2015), Osweo (04-02-2015)