Jean-Claude Juncker calls for EU army
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

European commission president says this military development would persuade Russia the bloc is serious about defending its values

The European Union needs its own army to help address the problem that it is not “taken entirely seriously” as an international force, the president of the European commission has said.

Jean-Claude Juncker said such a move would help the EU to persuade Russia that it was serious about defending its values in the face of the threat posed by Moscow.

However, his proposal was immediately rejected by the British government, which said that there was “no prospect” of the UK agreeing to the creation of an EU army.

“You would not create a European army to use it immediately,” Juncker told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper in Germany in an interview published on Sunday.

“But a common army among the Europeans would convey to Russia that we are serious about defending the values of the European Union.” (...)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ma...on-miltary

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2015 Mar 08 23:09
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Aemma (14-03-2015), Erwann (13-03-2015), Osweo (08-03-2015)
Tintagell
Chthonic

England

RE: Jean-Claude Juncker calls for EU army
The EU has values?
2015 Mar 09 01:56
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Tintagell's post:
Dussander (14-03-2015), Temnozor (14-03-2015)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

Ain't gonna happen anyway.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2015 Mar 09 02:33
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Dussander (14-03-2015)
Erwann
Make Armorica Great Again
Supervision

Breizh

(2015 Mar 09 01:56)Tintagell Wrote:  The EU has values?

More and more people in Europe are annoyed by the actions of NATO in Ukraine with all the bad consequences and have realized that we could have avoid this if we were more independent.
The "values of the EU against Russia" are just a shitty excuse for that.
2015 Mar 13 23:27
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

I don't want to an army to defend "values" but home, hearth and fatherland.

But the idea of a European army is a good one, in theory.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2015 Mar 13 23:31
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 5 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Aemma (14-03-2015), Aramis (17-03-2015), Erwann (13-03-2015), Kat (17-03-2015), Surtr Kvlt (13-03-2015)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

(2015 Mar 09 01:56)Tintagell Wrote:  The EU has values?
Of course. Ones most forums posters here dislike, or at least most of them. All is derived from Liberalism.
Quote:The Union is founded on the values of respect for human dignity, liberty, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities. These values, which are set out in Article I-2, are common to the Member States. Moreover, the societies of the Member States are characterised by pluralism, non-discrimination, tolerance, justice, solidarity and equality between women and men.

Not like the armies of individual nations don't spout this kind of stuff anyways.

totalitARYAN
2015 Mar 13 23:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Surtr Kvlt's post:
Dussander (14-03-2015)
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

(2015 Mar 13 23:31)Mustapaita Wrote:  I don't want to an army to defend "values" but home, hearth and fatherland.
Home, hearth and fatherland represent values though, conservative, reactionaire values which we are told to be overcome in the name of progress.
(2015 Mar 13 23:31)Mustapaita Wrote:  But the idea of a European army is a good one, in theory.
An army commanded by those outlawing and regulating private weapon ownership is not even a good idea in theory.

Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2015 Mar 14 01:51
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

(2015 Mar 13 23:43)Surtr Kvlt Wrote:  Of course. Ones most forums posters here dislike, or at least most of them. All is derived from Liberalism.

Those supportive of liberalism and libertarianism here despise the EU the most. The term liberalism has been usurped long ago...

(2015 Mar 13 23:43)Surtr Kvlt Wrote:  
Quote:The Union is founded on the values of respect for human dignity, liberty, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities. These values, which are set out in Article I-2, are common to the Member States. Moreover, the societies of the Member States are characterised by pluralism, non-discrimination, tolerance, justice, solidarity and equality between women and men.

Not like the armies of individual nations don't spout this kind of stuff anyways.

All these values are not worth the ink they have been written with, they are a primary example of Orwellian doublethink.

Thucydides

Aristotle

2015 Mar 14 02:02
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

(2015 Mar 14 01:51)Aptrgangr Wrote:  Home, hearth and fatherland represent values though, conservative, reactionaire values which we are told to be overcome in the name of progress.

Come on, don't be so German. I want my army to defend the territorial integrity of my nation. Not gay rights. Surely you see one is in the realm of traditional military duties and the other... not.

(2015 Mar 14 01:51)Aptrgangr Wrote:  An army commanded by those outlawing and regulating private weapon ownership is not even a good idea in theory.

In theory a European army is a great idea.

And I wouldn't want to live in a country that didn't in some way regulate and control private weapon ownership. The cellar mosque next door might turn into a car bomb plant.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2015 Mar 14 03:30
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Aramis (17-03-2015), Kat (17-03-2015), Surtr Kvlt (14-03-2015)
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

(2015 Mar 14 03:30)Mustapaita Wrote:  Come on, don't be so German. I want my army to defend the territorial integrity of my nation. Not gay rights. Surely you see one is in the realm of traditional military duties and the other... not.
You're a lucky guy if you have an army. I did not refer to the "don't ask, don't tell" issue, the integrity of "your" nation is endangered by those in charge, without sovereignty within, in domestic issues there won't be a national sovereignty in external matters. Or, to put it more simply, I am told the evil Russki is standing right in front of my door, what I see in reality is hordes from the Middle East and Africa welling in in record numbers.

(2015 Mar 14 03:30)Mustapaita Wrote:  In theory a European army is a great idea.
Why? It contradicts what you wrote before where you promoted national sovereigty, "home, hearth and fatherland", now you promote the opposite of all that, an army which no longer is under the command of national governments (parliamentary clause) but a supranational entity.

(2015 Mar 14 03:30)Mustapaita Wrote:  And I wouldn't want to live in a country that didn't in some way regulate and control private weapon ownership. The cellar mosque next door might turn into a car bomb plant.
First of all, why are there mosques in your country anyway? If there were none, you would not think of that hypothetical scenario. The mere fact foreign invaders and their bases are established and freely spread here is the best argument against any government regulations as such. Gun control by a criminal organization named government is as acceptable as gun control maintained by the mafia or IS.

Thucydides

Aristotle

2015 Mar 14 04:33
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aptrgangr's post:
Temnozor (14-03-2015)