Lithuania jails 84yo ex-Soviet security officer for 5 yrs on genocide charges
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

Lithuania jails 84yo ex-Soviet security officer for 5 yrs on genocide charges
Quote:Lithuania jails 84yo ex-Soviet security officer for 5 yrs on genocide charges

An 84-year-old former Soviet state security officer has been found guilty of genocide and sentenced by a Lithuanian court to five years in jail over his participation in a 1956 operation to arrest guerrilla leader Adolfas Ramanauskas-Vanagas.

Court prosecutors in the city of Kaunas asked for a longer sentence – seven years – for Stanislovas Drelingas, who insisted he was innocent.

"Although the defendant denied his direct complicity in genocide, i.e., he denied having taken any part in the operation specified in the indictment, evidence in the case suggests that he was part of the operation and helped other members of the Soviet administration," the court said.

The court ruled on the shorter term due to long-lasting legal proceedings, Drelingas’ health problems, and the fact that his role in the crime was secondary. His verdict has not yet come into force and could be moved to a new trial in a Lithuanian appeals court.

Adolfas Ramanauskas-Vanagas – one of the leaders of an anti-Soviet guerrilla troop called “Forest Brothers” – was arrested in 1956 in Kaunas, sentenced to death, and shot after spending a year in a Vilnius jail.

Members of the "Forest Brothers" – which totaled around 50,000 Lithuanians – took part in the anti-Soviet resistance movement in post-war Lithuania.

http://rt.com/news/240589-soviet-officer...-genocide/

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2015 Mar 16 13:00
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

RE: Lithuania jails 84yo ex-Soviet security officer for 5 yrs on genocide charges
Heh, in Germany they do this with grandpas who were allegedly involved in crimes of the Third Reich every couple of years, once they find a new one who is still alive. I smell strong political motivations here.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2015 Mar 16 15:11
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Mustapaita (16-03-2015)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

RE: Lithuania jails 84yo ex-Soviet security officer for 5 yrs on genocide charges
(2015 Mar 16 15:11)Temnozor Wrote:  Heh, in Germany they do this with grandpas who were allegedly involved in crimes of the Third Reich every couple of years, once they find a new one who is still alive. I smell strong political motivations here.

The difference is that the Germans have had all the time in the world to get these trials over with. The Baltic States only got the chance to go after these guys after 1991. But yeah, as with every revolution and regime change, the crimes of the former regime are paraded in front of the public for political reasons, among others.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2015 Mar 17 23:38
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

In Germany it used to be the rule - until a couple years ago - that some hard evidence was needed for a conviction. Nowadays you just need a few senile sheenies, a couple bought history professors and a show trial filled with international press and you get a conviction completely without substantial evidence, as in the case of John Demjanjuk.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2015 Mar 18 00:36
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Osweo (18-03-2015)
Godyfa
Daughter of Yorkshire

England

Quote:I smell strong political motivations here.
"Genocide" is obviously a trumped-up charge for cracking down on a resistance group. The fact he got only 5 years suggests to me they don't really believe the genocide charge.

I'm ot defending Soviet actions in Lithuania. But yes, especially considering it comes at a time of renewed tension between Russia and the Baltics.
2015 Mar 18 16:47
Like PostLIKE REPLY