Eurozone crosses Rubicon as Portugal's anti-euro Left banned from power
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

Constitutional crisis looms after anti-austerity Left is denied parliamentary prerogative to form a majority government

Portugal has entered dangerous political waters. For the first time since the creation of Europe’s monetary union, a member state has taken the explicit step of forbidding eurosceptic parties from taking office on the grounds of national interest.

Anibal Cavaco Silva, Portugal’s constitutional president, has refused to appoint a Left-wing coalition government even though it secured an absolute majority in the Portuguese parliament and won a mandate to smash the austerity regime bequeathed by the EU-IMF Troika.

• Indebted Portugal is still the problem child of the eurozone
He deemed it too risky to let the Left Bloc or the Communists come close to power, insisting that conservatives should soldier on as a minority in order to satisfy Brussels and appease foreign financial markets.

Democracy must take second place to the higher imperative of euro rules and membership. [...]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econo...power.html

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2015 Oct 23 21:46
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 7 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Aemma (24-10-2015), Artturi (24-10-2015), Eldritch (24-10-2015), Erwann (24-10-2015), Mustapaita (24-10-2015), Osweo (23-10-2015), W. R. (06-11-2015)
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

RE: Eurozone crosses Rubicon as Portugal's anti-euro Left banned from power
Quote:In 40 years of democracy, no government in Portugal has ever depended on the support of anti-European forces, that is to say forces that campaigned to abrogate the Lisbon Treaty, the Fiscal Compact, the Growth and Stability Pact, as well as to dismantle monetary union and take Portugal out of the euro, in addition to wanting the dissolution of NATO.

That reminds me of police spokespeople in this country recently opening an event for "world freedom speech week" with a warning that "hate speech" must be censored on the internet. oh lol! oh lol!

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2015 Oct 24 00:08
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 5 users Like Eldritch's post:
Aemma (24-10-2015), Aptrgangr (24-10-2015), Artturi (24-10-2015), Erwann (24-10-2015), Osweo (09-11-2015)
Artturi
Illiberal Arts Professor

Suomi

These people are so invested in their lies that they could not turn back even if we the citizens offered a full pardon for their misdeeds.

Quote:This great purity of the French revolution's basis, the very sublimity of its objective, is precisely what causes both our strength and our weakness. Our strength, because it gives to us truth's ascendancy over imposture, and the rights of the public interest over private interests; our weakness, because it rallies all vicious men against us, all those who in their hearts contemplated despoiling the people and all those who intend to let it be despoiled with impunity, both those who have rejected freedom as a personal calamity and those who have embraced the revolution as a career and the Republic as prey. ... The two opposing spirits that have been represented in a struggle to rule nature might be said to be fighting in this great period of human history to fix irrevocably the world's destinies, and France is the scene of this fearful combat. Without, all the tyrants encircle you; within, all tyranny's friends conspire; they will conspire until hope is wrested from crime. We must smother the internal and external enemies of the Republic or perish with it; now in this situation, the first maxim of your policy ought to be to lead the people by reason and the people's enemies by terror.

~Maximilien Robespierre, Terror is Justified

In our day the only certified people are the bureaucrats and wealthy cryptocrats who can arrange for legal indulgences, while we the peons have become this people's enemies by not getting educated or illuminated into the hype of unreason. The purity of their ongoing Revolution demands that the spirit of terror is constantly being stoked for the peons by crying all genuine dissidence as alarming political extremism. This how they are leading their enemies through fear and insecurity and themselves by a cult of material reasons.
2015 Oct 24 04:48
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Artturi's post:
Aptrgangr (24-10-2015), Erwann (24-10-2015), Sincfal (24-10-2015)
Aemma

France

^ One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, I guess.

I'm not sure that Robespierre is that much of an apt historical figure to laud. I mean in the end he was part of the problem more than he was part of the solution.

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2015 Oct 24 14:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Artturi
Illiberal Arts Professor

Suomi

(2015 Oct 24 14:26)Aemma Wrote:  ^ One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, I guess.

I'm not sure that Robespierre is that much of an apt historical figure to laud. I mean in the end he was part of the problem more than he was part of the solution.
Ah, it seems that you are misunderstanding me because I certainly harbor no symphaties for Robespierre or his ilk. Smile

I now understand that I should have written it more clearly, but this is the chance to be more explicit: I was equating Robespierre with our current political and fiscal leaders in the West. It is their ongoing Revolution. Robespierre established a cult for the rational reason and spearheaded a "progressive" revolution. He used terror as a tool to demoralize his opposition. Our elites have a cult of (scientific) materialism and likewise drive ahead with a revolutionary agenda, the new world order, as many world leaders in the West have alluded to such a thing in the past. They too use terror-like means to demoralize their dissidents, including us.
2015 Oct 24 16:08
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Artturi's post:
Aemma (05-11-2015)
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

(2015 Oct 24 16:08)Artturi Wrote:  (...)
Robespierre established a cult for the rational reason and spearheaded a "progressive" revolution. He used terror as a tool to demoralize his opposition. Our elites have a cult of (scientific) materialism and likewise drive ahead with a revolutionary agenda, the new world order, as many world leaders in the West have alluded to such a thing in the past. They too use terror-like means to demoralize their dissidents, including us.

They claim to act in the name of reason, but the Jacobins' temples of reason and supremacy of reason proved their irrationality, reason needs no temples. The elites of today too claim to be "reasonable" and scientific", which does not change the fact their ideology solely is based on irrationalism. Irrationalism is the mainstream philosphy influencing any other ideology, be it "left" or "right". http://www.britannica.com/topic/irrationalism
Any ideology/philosopy rejecting natural science and replacing it with metaphysical myths can't be considered as rational.
You should explain why you think today's elites see themselves as successors of Robespierre - the situation today much more has to do with that kind of feudalism the Jacobins tried to get rid of.

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2015 Oct 24 17:08
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aptrgangr's post:
Artturi (24-10-2015)
Artturi
Illiberal Arts Professor

Suomi

(2015 Oct 24 17:08)Aptrgangr Wrote:  They claim to act in the name of reason, but the Jacobins' temples of reason and supremacy of reason proved their irrationality, reason needs no temples. The elites of today too claim to be "reasonable" and scientific", which does not change the fact their ideology solely is based on irrationalism. Irrationalism is the mainstream philosphy influencing any other ideology, be it "left" or "right". http://www.britannica.com/topic/irrationalism
Any ideology/philosopy rejecting natural science and replacing it with metaphysical myths can't be considered as rational.

I concur--partly. We need to make the distinction between irrational and superrational (read: religious) cults; the first divinizes the lower animal characteristics of man that subdue cognitive faculties for the sake of baser desires, while the latter divinizes those characteristics that subdue all the material desires and elevate the intellection, nous, to attain the supernatural world. Both may criticize sheer rationality, but the standpoints are very different: one scales down to fit into carnal limitations, but the other transcends them.

Natural sciences have always found their place as a handy tool, nothing else, for the superrational cults. In this regard the cult of Reason really is a cargo cult for the Irrationalists, who found it a convenient setting for orgies.

Sheer rationality might seem like a third option, but observe that natural science steers far away from the supernatural and superrational knowledge. If the human being was fundamentally a spiritual creature, then would this sheer rationality then limit him or not?

(2015 Oct 24 17:08)Aptrgangr Wrote:  You should explain why you think today's elites see themselves as successors of Robespierre

Do I think that the elite of today considers Robespierre as their predecessor? No, I only alluded that there is an analogous situation between here and then, so it is justified to compare them as committed and unrepentant revolutionaries that carry the same rot with greater tact. Both certainly gather their momentum and defiance from the tumult of the Enlightenment with humanism and materialism being some examples of the common factors.

(2015 Oct 24 17:08)Aptrgangr Wrote:  the situation today much more has to do with that kind of feudalism the Jacobins tried to get rid of.

I understand the desire to get rid of malfunctioning nobility, but there should have been a replacement program instead of wholesale dismissal of the feudal society and its core beliefs. France set a terrible example for the rest of the world to follow. There used to be a sense of noblesse oblige for the upper castes of the society; can we expect the same from our elites today?
2015 Oct 24 18:48
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Artturi's post:
Aemma (05-11-2015)
Aemma

France

Artturi Wrote:France set a terrible example for the rest of the world to follow.

This. So very much, this.

~Be the Virtuous Man or Woman you are meant to be.~
2015 Nov 05 23:54
Like PostLIKE REPLY