Osweo

England

Great propaganda soundbite
Just saw it in the background of this crap BBC video at 1:09:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32082425

Had to do a crap edit thing to show the whole thing:
[Image: 14ipqvm.png]

Наше поколение гордится своим знанием английского,
не задумываясь о том, что 30 лет ещё назад полмира говорило по-русски.

Our generation takes pride in its knowledge of English,
without even thinking about how, just 30 years ago, half the world spoke Russian.

thumbs up

Most surprising to me was that, once I typed that into Yandex.ru and then into Google, no images came up! Why go to the trouble of coming up with good slogans if you don't post them round the place a bit?!

Shockingly, I didn't even get any general hits for the phrase. Thought I'd go some way to righting that wrong by writing it here at least...

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2015 Dec 26 17:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Osweo's post:
Aptrgangr (26-12-2015), Artturi (27-12-2015), Temnozor (26-12-2015)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

RE: Great propaganda soundbite
Not really. The diplomats spoke Russian, the normal people usually were just glad to finish their obligatory classes. I know people who grew up in the GDR and they don't speak Russian at all.

Reminds me of a phrase my uncle came up with, though: "When we occupied Poland, they listened to Russian music. Today, when I turn on the radio in Russia, I hear American music."

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2015 Dec 26 17:15
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Temnozor's post:
Artturi (27-12-2015), Osweo (26-12-2015)
Osweo

England

The Rumanos of a certain age that I meet regularly and occasionally buy from around here at least understand Russian questions, even if they answer in Spanish. Big Grin They have a fucked up idea as to what Kozinak is, though:
[Image: picture-d60bfe5fe33d-300-201-2-85.jpg]
none How the hell am I expected to break my teeth eating that?

Depends who you speak to, I suppose. Former soldiers from the Warsaw Pact might do a little better. I've seen military documents from Czechoslovakia, signed and written by local officers, but all in Russian. Such people are not getting any younger, of course. I've even heard that Russian abilities in Transcaucasia are slipping to surprising levels among the younger generations, ekh, what's the world coming to...

I'm most worried at your uncle's radio: Why the hell is it not tuned to Radio Shanson? One flat I lived in for a few years had a built in radio in the kitchen. It was a more mainstream station than Shanson, but you heard very little or no non-Russky music from it.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2015 Dec 26 18:44
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

Despite being part of Russia for over 100 years no one spoke Russian in Finland during that time, with the exception of the few Russians here. There are lots of Russian newspaper articles from that time, written by disgruntled tourists, asking if they really are in the Empire or abroad altogether. In the later years of Imperial rule it was a matter of pride for students to fail Russian. Smile

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2015 Dec 26 19:17
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (27-12-2015), Kat (26-12-2015)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

(2015 Dec 26 19:17)Mustapaita Wrote:  I'm most worried at your uncle's radio: Why the hell is it not tuned to Radio Shanson? One flat I lived in for a few years had a built in radio in the kitchen. It was a more mainstream station than Shanson, but you heard very little or no non-Russky music from it.

Because шансон is блатня and most of the gangster part of my family has died in the 90s.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

2015 Dec 26 19:19
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

(2015 Dec 26 19:17)Mustapaita Wrote:  There are lots of Russian newspaper articles from that time, written by disgruntled tourists, asking if they really are in the Empire or abroad altogether. In the later years of Imperial rule it was a matter of pride for students to fail Russian. Smile

Well, that puts you on roughly the same level as Tajikistan, nothing I would necessarily be proud of. Big Grin

2015 Dec 26 19:24
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita

Suomi

They too are proud mongols? Sounds like good folk.

2015 Dec 26 19:27
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (27-12-2015)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

(2015 Dec 26 19:27)Mustapaita Wrote:  They too are proud mongols? Sounds like good folk.

Proud leftovers of the Persian Empire, much like Afghanistan.

2015 Dec 26 19:29
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Mustapaita

Suomi

Proud removers of Shchi the lot of them.

2015 Dec 26 19:30
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (27-12-2015), Surtr Kvlt (26-12-2015)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

Back then 15-20% of the world population at best knew Russian. And most of them definitely were far from fluent. Half of the world population? That's just bullshit propaganda.

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2015 Dec 26 21:13
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Artturi (27-12-2015)