Great propaganda soundbite
Osweo

England

RE: Great propaganda soundbite
Of course it's nonsense, or a daft exaggeration at best, but it's a great little meme to use inside Russia! I never cease to be shocked when I deal with adult Russians who don't even remember the USSR, so there's definitely a need to impress on a certain age-group the position of their country as recently as their parents' youth. That's who the slogan is aimed at, and as for who it's against, it's that same old despicable metropolitan "creative classes" type, with iPhones surgically attached to one hand and the other permanently lodged in Soros's pocket.

A good part of the malaise in modern English society might have to do with an ignorance of what our people had achieved on the world stage as recently as in living memory.

Wasn't Finland in more of a "personal union" sort of relationship with the Tsars since 1815, rather than with the Russian state as such? Of course, this sort of thing is iffy under autocracy, and I know that unwelcome efforts were made towards russification, just as with Poland, but still I'm not surprised Russian never caught on there. Besides, it's just a second extra language to learn, on top of Swedish, which made it even less likely, no?

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2015 Dec 26 22:02
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Osweo's post:
Artturi (27-12-2015)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

RE: Great propaganda soundbite
Quote:Wasn't Finland in more of a "personal union" sort of relationship with the Tsars since 1815, rather than with the Russian state as such? Of course, this sort of thing is iffy under autocracy, and I know that unwelcome efforts were made towards russification, just as with Poland, but still I'm not surprised Russian never caught on there. Besides, it's just a second extra language to learn, on top of Swedish, which made it even less likely, no?

Yes. The Grand duchy retained its old Swedish laws and customs. There was even a customs border between the Grand duchy and the motherland. Finnish became an official language only in the 1860's. When russification began it was seen as a betrayal from the Tsar.

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2015 Dec 26 22:24
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (27-12-2015)