‘Panama Papergate’ Exposes Global Offshore Havens, Israeli Names
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

A Panama-based law firm leaked millions of records exposing a global network of tax havens.

A massive document leak in Panama has been exposed by journalists who tracked down and revealed 11.5 million records that connect hundreds of thousands of offshore entities to businesspeople, celebrities, sports stars, world leaders, criminals and places around the world – including Israel.

The network was uncovered by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung and more than 100 other news organizations, including Haaretz. The documents were reviewed by a team of more than 370 journalists from 76 countries. (...)

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking...016/04/04/

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr...ama-papers

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/eur...96767.html

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/politi...ot_resign/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/ta...ak/7296512

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-35957235

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/716772373408718849

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/secret-fil...-1.1376407

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-panama...SKCN0X104F

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr...ax-bahamas

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2016 Apr 04 17:20
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Aptrgangr's post:
Artturi (04-04-2016), Osweo (06-04-2016), Raskolnikov (05-04-2016), Zephyr (06-07-2018)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

RE: ‘Panama Papergate’ Exposes Global Offshore Havens, Israeli Names
[Image: 01_popup_panama.jpg]

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2016 Apr 04 23:21
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Phlegethon's post:
Zephyr (06-07-2018)
Raskolnikov

Breizh

All over media this is how I'm seeing it presented as visually:

Vice:
[Image: aYrdxXs.jpg]

[Image: X36wgJR.png]

Guardian:
[Image: d3HAeTl.png]

[Image: UBOJ98a.jpg?1]
2016 Apr 05 01:07
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Raskolnikov's post:
Artturi (05-04-2016), Osweo (06-04-2016)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

The owners of the Guardian are probably taking notes as a back up for the (im)possibility of regulations against legal tax evasion.

Dictators are more interesting. Western plutocrats are boring. Tongue

Plus the laundering by sanctioned people and the third world is a big part of this leak. The legal shekel shuffling will be skipped over whilst this is news and there will be empty words about combatting shady tax havens.

totalitARYAN
2016 Apr 05 08:49
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Artturi (05-04-2016), Raskolnikov (05-04-2016)
Raskolnikov

Breizh

Fucking Soros again.

Corporate Media Gatekeepers Protect Western 1% From Panama Leak 624
3 Apr, 2016 in Uncategorized by craig

Whoever leaked the Mossack Fonseca papers appears motivated by a genuine desire to expose the system that enables the ultra wealthy to hide their massive stashes, often corruptly obtained and all involved in tax avoidance. These Panamanian lawyers hide the wealth of a significant proportion of the 1%, and the massive leak of their documents ought to be a wonderful thing.

Unfortunately the leaker has made the dreadful mistake of turning to the western corporate media to publicise the results. In consequence the first major story, published today by the Guardian, is all about Vladimir Putin and a cellist on the fiddle. As it happens I believe the story and have no doubt Putin is bent.

But why focus on Russia? Russian wealth is only a tiny minority of the money hidden away with the aid of Mossack Fonseca. In fact, it soon becomes obvious that the selective reporting is going to stink.

The Suddeutsche Zeitung, which received the leak, gives a detailed explanation of the methodology the corporate media used to search the files. The main search they have done is for names associated with breaking UN sanctions regimes. The Guardian reports this too and helpfully lists those countries as Zimbabwe, North Korea, Russia and Syria. The filtering of this Mossack Fonseca information by the corporate media follows a direct western governmental agenda. There is no mention at all of use of Mossack Fonseca by massive western corporations or western billionaires – the main customers. And the Guardian is quick to reassure that “much of the leaked material will remain private.”

What do you expect? The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Their funders include

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation
Open Society Foundation (Soros)

among many others. Do not expect a genuine expose of western capitalism. The dirty secrets of western corporations will remain unpublished.

Expect hits at Russia, Iran and Syria and some tiny “balancing” western country like Iceland. A superannuated UK peer or two will be sacrificed – someone already with dementia.

The corporate media – the Guardian and BBC in the UK – have exclusive access to the database which you and I cannot see. They are protecting themselves from even seeing western corporations’ sensitive information by only looking at those documents which are brought up by specific searches such as UN sanctions busters. Never forget the Guardian smashed its copies of the Snowden files on the instruction of MI6.

What if they did Mossack Fonseca database searches on the owners of all the corporate media and their companies, and all the editors and senior corporate media journalists? What if they did Mossack Fonseca searches on all the most senior people at the BBC? What if they did Mossack Fonseca searches on every donor to the Center for Public Integrity and their companies?

What if they did Mossack Fonseca searches on every listed company in the western stock exchanges, and on every western millionaire they could trace?

That would be much more interesting. I know Russia and China are corrupt, you don’t have to tell me that. What if you look at things that we might, here in the west, be able to rise up and do something about?

And what if you corporate lapdogs let the people see the actual data?

UPDATE

Hundreds of thousands of people have read this post in the 11 hours since it was published – despite it being overnight here in the UK. There are 235,918 “impressions” on twitter (as twitter calls them) and over 3,700 people have “shared” so far on Facebook, bringing scores of new readers each.

I would remind you that this blog is produced free for the public good and you are welcome to republish or re-use this article or any other material freely anywhere without requesting further permission.

[Image: UBOJ98a.jpg?1]
2016 Apr 05 23:22
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Raskolnikov's post:
Aptrgangr (06-04-2016), Artturi (06-04-2016), Osweo (06-04-2016), Surtr Kvlt (05-04-2016)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

I hope Private Eye somehow gets its hands on some stuff.

Here is an old database of properties held by offshores in England and Wales.
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/registry

The bourgeois dodge taxes and appear benevolent when they use this money to buy power and positive image.

For example, the management of a local shopping centre that is held by a company registered in Guernsey
Quote:“We are also working with the council and the university to support them in any way we can. When we sponsored the Christmas lights last year, we were all up on the stage and it was a fantastic day. With 25,000 or 30,000 people there, you then see that coming back from the community to the centre.
This makes the local government rely and pander to the capitalist elite. The electorate votes in people who pander to the bourgeoisie which holds financial power and the means of production. Liberal democracy...LOL

"It's nothing to do with the British government or British people, the government of all is the financial government, the power of money and of money alone!" - Sir Oswald Mosley

totalitARYAN
2016 Apr 06 00:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Artturi (06-04-2016), Osweo (06-04-2016), Raskolnikov (06-04-2016)
Xmia
Space Commienazi

England

David Cameron is coming in for some heat so if the conspiracy version is tr00, 'they' must have decided he is expendable.
Which, in truth, he is ;)
Well, give thi info to Guardian and BBC and of course they wouldn't pass digging dirt up on tory boy...
...at least we have a real clean hero of the people in Comrade Corbyn though Tongue

Meanwhile, in Soviet Russia... Big Grin

Quote:Panama Papers: Russians unfazed by Putin circle deals
By Steve Rosenberg
BBC News, Elektrostal, Russia

Drive two hours east of Moscow, and you'll reach a town which, in Tsarist times, was called Zatishe - "peace and quiet".
...Under communism the town was renamed Elektrostal ('ElectroSteel'). To reflect the absence of peace and quiet.

At a newspaper kiosk I ask sales assistant Nadezhda what she thinks of the Panama Papers, and claims of a money laundering ring close to the Kremlin.
"I have a very negative attitude… towards you!" Nadezhda replies.
"That's a pity," I respond, "I don't have a negative attitude towards you."
"It's nothing personal," explains Nadezhda. "You seem quite a decent person. It's your country I don't like and its scheming. All these 'investigations' are a waste of time and money. We know what you're up to."

Nadezhda calls over her friend, the ice cream seller.
"Marina, come here, they're trying to rub Putin's face in the dirt."
"We're for Putin, we're for Russia," the ice cream lady declares. "The West just wants to topple him and put one of its own people in his place. Someone like Ukraine's President [Petro] Poroshenko."
"But what about the claims about offshore accounts, tax evasion and money laundering close to the Kremlin?" I ask, "Doesn't that surprise you?"
"People high up have always had accounts like these and they always will," Marina says, "And Putin can't keep an eye on everyone."
At the Elektrostal hair salon, manager Galina believes Russia is a cut above the West.
"It's bad that we have enemies, like America, who always criticise Russia," Galina tells me. "The Americans just want to conquer the world. I'm certain that Putin has no connection to these alleged accounts."
Later in the park I meet a mathematician called Boris. I ask what he thinks about allegations people close to the president have been channelling huge sums through offshore companies.
"Well, it doesn't affect my life in any way," Boris replies, "and if it doesn't affect me or the people around me, then as far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist. Anyway, Putin is the greatest leader of modern times." ((Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin))

This is precisely the picture that state television in Russia paints: heroic Putin versus evil West. The message is so powerful it often overrides the scepticism some people do feel about what TV is telling them.
"We can't rely on the mass media these days," says Zhanna, a teacher at the Elektrostal Foreign Language School. "Sometimes we are in a difficult situation; we don't know who to believe. All mass media tell lies, everywhere."
But that does not affect Zhanna's view of Vladimir Putin.
"I think he is not worth criticising. He is a worthy president and he behaves correctly."
I ask Zhanna what she makes of past rumours that Vladimir Putin has a multi-billion dollar fortune.
"No, these accusations are not right. Not at all. Accusations are necessary for our enemies. That's why they try to exaggerate things or invent things."

Before I leave Elektrostal I get chatting to a pensioner called Ella. She's sitting on the pavement selling socks and stockings, to supplement her pension. You might think that if anyone would be angry at the suggestion huge sums of money were being squirrelled abroad, it would be Ella. But she doesn't seem to care.
"I don't know about any of these offshore accounts," Ella tells me, "but I do know that a head of state has the right to be well off. He carries such a weight of responsibility."

To many Russians, power and wealth go hand in hand. And many here remain suspicious of the West. As long as Russians are focused on enemies abroad, their leaders at home will feel quite safe.

(orig)
2016 Apr 08 19:34
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Xmia's post:
Erwann (11-04-2016), Osweo (08-04-2016), Raskolnikov (08-04-2016), W. R. (08-04-2016)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

(2016 Apr 08 19:34)Xmia Wrote:  David Cameron is coming in for some heat
Cameron himself isn't tax dodging but is benefiting from his fathers investment fund. And that just typical above the board international finance capitalism, apparently.

And Labour's finest are getting stuck in. Tongue

Quote:Ken Livingstone has gone on Russia Today to call for Cameron to be jailed over his taxes. That is the same Ken Livingstone who sheltered his earnings in a company so he could save £1,000-a-week in tax. Ken paid 21% corporation tax rate on £319,478 of earnings by invoicing to Silveta Ltd, instead of paying the 50% top rate of income tax. He also owned 99% of a similar company twice prosecuted for non-payment of taxes. Ken’s effective tax rate in 2012 was 14.5%. Today he laughably calls Cameron “the most hypocritical prime minister of my lifetime”…
http://order-order.com/2016/04/08/kens-s...hypocrisy/

totalitARYAN
2016 Apr 08 22:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Artturi (09-04-2016), Osweo (09-04-2016)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2016 Apr 08 19:34)Xmia Wrote:  “As long as Russians are focused on enemies abroad, their leaders at home will feel quite safe”.

Putin's popularity is not based solely on his awesomeness. The state propaganda plays a huge role in contributing to it and is very successful: for most Russians Putin has become a divine sovereign beyond criticism. It is no exaggeration.

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
2016 Apr 10 22:38
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like W. R.'s post:
Artturi (11-04-2016), Erwann (11-04-2016)