Tallinn Tandoori
Flavius
Vae Victis

Helvetia

Tallinn Tandoori
TALINN — Estonia is a cold, dark former Soviet country on the edges of Europe, known more for its innovation — think Skype, and E-governance: its citizens can vote online — than its cuisine. Rye bread with smoked herrings is the national nosh, along with potato salad and cabbage with mushrooms. The country’s bland food is a far cry from the spicy and oily curries of the subcontinent. And yet, Indian food has become an improbable staple of the modern Estonian palate.

The travel site TripAdvisor lists 15 of the best Indian restaurants in Estonia’s capital Tallinn (there are many more!), a gobsmacking number for a city of under half a million people that doesn’t even have an Indian community. Unlike neighboring Scandinavia, Estonia has been very strict on immigration, and is almost 100 percent white.

The city’s historic Old Town is packed with curry houses, with one on almost every street corner as on London’s Brick Lane. Elevant and Maharaja are on opposite sides of a historic building on Old Town Square, while Chakra, Masala, Bollywood, and Spice are a samosa’s throw from each other. Even the local pubs offer chicken vindaloo and tikka masala, as in the UK. The burgeoning hipster neighborhood behind the train station also boasts a hipster-themed curry house.

more at link
http://www.politico.eu/article/estonia-curry-houses/
2016 May 23 01:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

RE: Tallinn Tandoori
Vijay Maheshwari Wrote:Estonia is a cold, dark former Soviet country on the edges of Europe

That's as far as I made it.

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2016 May 23 12:17
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Eldritch's post:
Artturi (23-05-2016), Osweo (23-05-2016)
Osweo

England

Just the early phases of the old trick they pulled in England, where every commentator is bound by law, and probably under penalty of banishment into the labouring classes, to remark that there is no more British/English (adapt to context) dish than Chicken Tikka Masala. Interestingly, the appeal is made to keep importing more and more curry "chefs". The existing slop-stirrers seem to have a curious amnesia and need constant refresher courses from Sub-Continental cousins to keep making the ritually tortured old meat in diarrhoeia sause. Naturally, the older chefs' progeny have important work to do on diversity committees or posing as token browns in advertising or political party photographs.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2016 May 23 18:54
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Osweo's post:
Artturi (23-05-2016), Eldritch (23-05-2016), Raskolnikov (23-05-2016)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

Indian food is disgusting, I don't know how anyone can like it. And I'm not even a food racist.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2016 May 23 19:01
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Artturi
Illiberal Arts Professor

Suomi

(2016 May 23 19:01)Temnozor Wrote:  Indian food is disgusting, I don't know how anyone can like it. And I'm not even a food racist.

India is a large subcontinent and very diverse region in which you can find all types of food for every taste and palate. Which type of Indian food have you tasted? If you now confess having only tasted super market's canned and bottled "Indian" food, then shame on you.

Have you tasted authentic cuisine from Tamil Nadu? I find it excellent.
2016 May 23 19:14
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Artturi's post:
Eldritch (23-05-2016), Erwann (23-05-2016), Mustapaita (24-05-2016), Quaestor (23-05-2016)
Quaestor

Nederland

Food and music are indeed topics that I am somewhat of a 'multiculturalist' towards. And I don't see any conflict with being an ethnocentrist, as I don't favor people as starting to live at the same spot and mix (indeed, that would consume global diversity).

These (food and music) btw are often rhetorically abused by multicult-promoters. The problems, conflicts and damage however, come from differences in ethnic and cultural norms and values, taboos and religious tenets etc. and also from simple 'we'-group feelings that the immigrants have not been brainwashed to unlearn — and not from the artistic and culinary achievements of the involved cultures.

Btw it did worry me to see there is a Thai minority on Iceland (how the hell?? I was glad to see the döner kebab joint in Reykjavík had closed though. I must confess I spend a few evenings at the Buddha Bar restaurant though Huh? Good food and good wifi) but the Estland scenario (Tandoori without a noticeable immigrant commune) seems like the best of both worlds.

[Image: mjydjr.png]

[Image: FE_MEGA_small.jpg]
2016 May 23 19:33
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Quaestor's post:
Artturi (23-05-2016), Erwann (23-05-2016)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

(2016 May 23 19:14)Artturi Wrote:  India is a large subcontinent and very diverse region in which you can find all types of food for every taste and palate. Which type of Indian food have you tasted? If you now confess having only tasted super market's canned and bottled "Indian" food, then shame on you.

Have you tasted authentic cuisine from Tamil Nadu? I find it excellent.

I was invited to a few Indian restaurants while I was still living in Germany. I can't recall the names of all the food I had there, but it was several sorts of chicken, some disgusting yellow soup and overspiced rice.

Lots of Turkish food is really, really good, but I will never touch anything Indian again, ever.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2016 May 23 21:12
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Temnozor's post:
Artturi (24-05-2016)
Osweo

England

Eating anything cooked by non-Europeans is roughly equivalent to licking the shit off their arsehole. They have zero concept of hygiene, and many are even motivated to dirty your food out of religious zeal to get one over on the infidel, or racial anti-imperial revenge for those without Allah in particular prompting them to spit in your food. Speak to health and safety inspectors or fire safety officers who inspect the premises of their takeaways and "restaurants". Perhaps a few east Asian ethnicities are innocent of this, I don't know.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2016 May 23 22:07
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Osweo's post:
Artturi (24-05-2016), Erwann (23-05-2016), W. R. (24-05-2016)
Flavius
Vae Victis

Helvetia

There's an upscale Indian restaurant where I live and the food was decent. Interesting flavors. I did not care enough to order again. It was out of curiosity as 90% of the time I home cook meals than order out.
2016 May 23 22:15
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

A lot of Indian restaurants use the really cheap and nasty food colourings(with some bad health effects). Ones with legal limits being used over the limit.

Other than that my stomach is a race traitor. Not been to a Indian restaurant or had a takeaway in years though. Supermarket stuff or cooked myself from scratch.

totalitARYAN
2016 May 23 22:47
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Artturi (24-05-2016), Flavius (23-05-2016), Mustapaita (24-05-2016)