Corvidae: Facts and Photography
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

RE: Corvidae: Facts and Photography
Stunning Photos Capture the Majestic Beauty of Ravens

Talented wildlife photographer Deidre Lantz shares with us her stunning Raven pictures.

[Image: WHtUP01.jpg]

[Image: 94R9imB.jpg]

[Image: SP0LQxP.jpg]

More here.

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2015 Mar 20 22:53
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Eldritch's post:
Violet (21-03-2015)
Phlegethon
Factionist of the forlorn

Deutschland

Seattle Girl Befriends Neighborhood Crows, Making Bird Lovers Everywhere Jealous

In return for food, Gabi Mann gets some bizarre gifts from her feathered allies.

What if we could be friends with wild birds? Seattle-native Gabi Mann seems to have achieved that goal with one of the smartest species on the planet: the American Crow. Never mind that she’s only 8-years old. This imaginative kid has a unique relationship with her neighborhood corvids, as told in a story by the BBC News Magazine.

It all started two years ago, when Gabi began feeding local flocks of crows. At first it was haphazard—a dropped chicken nugget here, a crumb from a sandwich there. But the crows took notice, and soon enough Gabi’s hospitality went from being accidental to intentional. These days, Gabi’s crows perch nearby whenever she’s outside, hoping for a feast or even just a morsel. But the spirit of giving inhabits both the girl and the beast. Soon enough, the crows were showering Gabi with all sorts of loot.

Every day, Gabi leaves out food (mostly peanuts, which are a big hit) in the backyard for her groupies. In return, they leave her gifts—shiny baubles like polished sea-glass, and odder trinkets, like a rusty screw or tube of chapstick. In what could have been a coincidence or a lovely curiosity, the crows promptly returned a lens cap that Gabi had lost while taking some photographs (of a bird, naturally) in an alleyway. And so the plot thickened.

Crows, and all other members of the corvid family (which also includes jays, magpies, and ravens), are renowned for their intelligence. They’re known to be prodigious tool-users, and are more adept with tools than all other animals short of the great apes. Even their social behavior mirrors ours in some ways; they’ve been observed performing funeral rites for their deceased members of their murder (it’s the name for a group of crows—not sinister at all!).

Gift-giving isn’t uncommon among crows; John Marzluff, a professor of wildlife science at the University of Washington who studies the relationship between crows and people, said in an interview with the BBC, “I can't say they always will [give presents], but I have seen an awful lot of things crows have brought people." (Dead birds are one grisly example.) Sometimes those gifts aren’t entirely welcome: Gabi’s mother once had to throw out a rotting crab claw that the crows had so lovingly bestowed upon her daughter. But Gabi doesn’t seem to be perturbed by the oddities she receives; she keeps all her gifts carefully labeled and stored, treasuring them like precious jewels. "You may take a few close looks," she said to the BBC reporter, "but don't touch."

Not in haunts of marble chill,
Temples drear where ancients trod,—
Nay, in oaks on woody hill
Lives and moves the German God.

2015 Sep 24 23:34
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Phlegethon's post:
Eldritch (25-09-2015), Violet (26-09-2015), W. R. (25-09-2015)
Phlegethon

Deutschland

This morning when I put out the trash a crow dropped a walnut directly in front of me. Not sure whether that was a gift or not, though. Anyway, the crows will get pasta tomorrow.

2015 Sep 25 12:07
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Phlegethon's post:
Eldritch (06-01-2016), Violet (26-09-2015)
Violet
Grand Member

England

Hooded crows playing:

love

Send me the pillow... The one that you dream on.
2016 Jan 10 17:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Violet's post:
Artturi (10-01-2016), Eldritch (10-01-2016), Kat (10-01-2016)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

[Image: 1461667083165.jpg]

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2016 Apr 26 11:39
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (26-04-2016), Erwann (26-04-2016), W. R. (26-04-2016)
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

[Image: IvsFsRy.jpg]

I like to look at the human self-model as a neurocomputational weapon, a certain data structure that the brain can activate from time to time.

Thomas Metzinger
2016 May 23 12:21
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Eldritch's post:
Artturi (23-05-2016), Violet (27-05-2016)
Eldritch
Your friends like this.

Suomi

[Image: fnwNWdZ.jpg]

Canuck the Crow flies off with knife from crime scene in Vancouver

A notorious character with prior run-ins with Vancouver Police briefly snatched a knife from a crime scene this week, but the cops aren’t recommending charges.

That’s because the knife thief is believed to be Canuck the Crow, an infamous local bird that was raised by humans and has more than 13,000 Facebook followers.

The incident unfolded after police shot and wounded a man near an East Vancouver McDonald’s on Tuesday, prompting media, including Vancouver Courier reporter Mike Howell, to race to the scene.

“I saw this crow swoop in and grab some sort of object, and then start to fly away with it,” Howell said. “Then the cop started to give chase in the parking lot, and then about, say 15, 20 feet later, the crow dropped what turned out to be a knife.

“I thought, ‘Well, that’s kind of strange.“’

Vancouver Police said officers were called to the scene of a burning car in the parking lot. Officers were confronted by a man with a knife, shots were fired and the man was arrested, police said.

Const. Brian Montague confirmed that a bird picked up a knife and tried to fly away before it was chased by officers. The knife was eventually gathered as evidence.

Montague said it’s not the first time the department has encountered Canuck. An officer took a photo of the feathered foe in April when it flew into a police cruiser and stole a button from the keyboard of an on-board computer. LOL

“No planned press conference or ‘wanted’ poster,” Montague said in an e-mail.

Despite the bird’s tendency to tamper with police evidence and equipment, a Facebook page devoted to Canuck describes him as a popular — if sometimes difficult — fixture in the area of Cassiar Street and Hastings Street, near the Pacific National Exhibition.

“He’s met so many people and had so many experiences with them. He likes who he likes and he doesn’t like who he doesn’t like. He is a wild crow after all. But I do think he likes getting his picture taken,” the page says.

The page says the bird was found as a hatchling that had fallen from a nest. A resident raised Canuck until he was able to fly, before setting him free with the red zip tag around his leg so he could be easily identified.

Howell said he has probably received more Twitter activity about Canuck over the past few days than anything else he’s ever reported on, but he noted that the story he wrote on Tuesday focused on the police shooting.

Globe and Mail.

Thomas Metzinger
2016 May 27 00:54
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Eldritch's post:
Artturi (27-05-2016), Violet (27-05-2016), W. R. (27-05-2016)
Phlegethon

Deutschland

God bless ACAB crows!

2016 May 27 06:32
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Artturi (27-05-2016), Violet (27-05-2016)
Raskolnikov

Breizh

https://vine.co/v/iQmwiDBd3wU

[Image: UBOJ98a.jpg?1]
2016 May 29 02:49
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Raskolnikov's post:
Artturi (29-05-2016), Eldritch (30-05-2016)
Phlegethon

Deutschland

Crow Refuses To Leave The Man Who Saved His Life

By Zainab Akande
May. 26, 2016

Canuck, a crow who lives in Vancouver, Canada, got into a bit of trouble recently. His dad, Shawn Bergman, wasn't pleased by the bird's conduct.

"I'm not thrilled that he tampered with a crime scene, but what ... [can] you do?" Bergman told The Dodo. "He's a wild crow."

[Image: 980x.jpg]

https://www.thedodo.com/canuck-rescued-c...31628.html

2016 May 29 13:47
Like PostLIKE REPLY
Artturi (29-05-2016), Eldritch (30-05-2016)