I’m a part of the elite. So why am I cheering for the populist right?
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

If, in a parliamentary democracy, the establishment and the people diverge, one must surely bet that the elites are wrong

Charles Moore

‘Are you Charles Moore of The Spectator?’ I answered to that description. ‘Well,’ said my questioner, ‘I am worried that you’re becoming very right-wing.’ We were sitting by the fire in a charming, smoky hut with no electric light and lots to eat and drink. It was a shooting lunch, the sort of occasion where one is seldom held to account for anything. I could have tried to laugh the question off, but my interrogator exhibited high intelligence and class confidence, so I sensed she wouldn’t let me get away with that. Unfortunately, I didn’t know how to answer her.

I am not offended by being called right-wing, because I don’t agree with the left-wing view that right-wingery is a mark of personal turpitude. I don’t much like the term, though, because it suggests a rigid ideological position. I prefer the word ‘conservative’, because it expresses a disposition, not a programme. But my companion was obviously raising the matter because of my — and her — reactions to this strange year. So I tried to analyse with her what these times mean, and work out whether they were driving me to some extreme of which I had been unaware. Was I guilty as charged? (...)

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/im-a-...ist-right/

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2016 Dec 31 19:56
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aptrgangr's post:
Artturi (31-12-2016)
Blackthorne

England

RE: I’m a part of the elite. So why am I cheering for the populist right?
'I’m a part of the elite. So why am I cheering for the populist right?'

The elitist trash always cheer when the 'rabble' become excited.
2017 Jan 01 07:34
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Blackthorne's post:
Aptrgangr (01-01-2017), Artturi (01-01-2017)