Russian Nationalism 101
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

Russian Nationalism 101
This is a very balanced perspective on Russian nationalism and I found a few interesting resources for myself in that article. Also, I'm probably a moderate according to this.

Quote:There is a huge amount of misinformation and disinformation about what is and what is not Russian nationalism.

As a ROG agent and evil Russian oppressor, it’s incumbent on me to set the record straight.

I won't paste the main body of the article for formatting reasons, just read it here.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2017 Apr 21 13:23
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like Temnozor's post:
Aptrgangr (21-04-2017), Artturi (21-04-2017), W. R. (21-04-2017)
Artturi
Illiberal Arts Professor

Suomi

RE: Russian Nationalism 101
Quote:The regathering of the Russian lands, including Belorussia, North Kazakhstan, Novorossiya, and Malorossiya.

W. R. is very dissappoint. cry
2017 Apr 21 13:47
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Artturi's post:
Aptrgangr (21-04-2017), W. R. (21-04-2017)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

(2017 Apr 21 13:47)Artturi Wrote:  W. R. is very dissappoint. cry

I always offered a Belarusian annexation of Russia as an alternative. Belarus from Grodno to Vladivostok. Actually, the GDL also had the ambition to "gather all Rus(sian) lands", just like Muscovy; and as I became aware, Belarusian nationalism is basically about larping as Lithuanians. Tongue

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

2017 Apr 21 14:03
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Temnozor's post:
Aptrgangr (21-04-2017), Artturi (21-04-2017)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2017 Apr 21 13:47)Artturi Wrote:  
Quote:The regathering of the Russian lands, including Belorussia, North Kazakhstan, Novorossiya, and Malorossiya.

W. R. is very dissappoint. cry

I'm rather flummoxed. I can't see what can be achieved by that. Okay, taking over North Kazakhstan may prevent Russians living there from being assimilated by Kazakhs, but the other mentioned moves would be pointless: “the regathering of the Russian lands” means “putting all the eggs in one basket”. Bad idea.

(2017 Apr 21 14:03)Temnozor Wrote:  I became aware, Belarusian nationalism is basically about larping as Lithuanians.

If you mean “Belarusians are in fact Balts”, this is a comparatively new meme. A cool example of a small group of people memeing something into existence. (In this case “something” means a new identity.)

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
2017 Apr 21 20:14
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like W. R.'s post:
Artturi (21-04-2017), Temnozor (21-04-2017)
Temnozor
Supervision

Россия

(2017 Apr 21 20:14)W. R. Wrote:  I'm rather flummoxed. I can't see what can be achieved by that. Okay, taking over North Kazakhstan may prevent Russians living there from being assimilated by Kazakhs, but the other mentioned moves would be pointless: “the regathering of the Russian lands” means “putting all the eggs in one basket”. Bad idea.

Unity brings strength and excludes the possibility of us being manipulated against each other, as it happened in Ukraine. Also, it would make Russia more of an ethnostate.

(2017 Apr 21 20:14)W. R. Wrote:  If you mean “Belarusians are in fact Balts”, this is a comparatively new meme. A cool example of a small group of people memeing something into existence. (In this case “something” means a new identity.)

I've met a few people who are, in my opinion, appropriating Lithuanian history to varying degrees. Claiming that Vilnius is a rightfully Belarusian city is a bit over the edge, for example. Also I noticed that the more "nationalist" someone is, the more he tends to focus on GDL history and disregard the Kievan Rus or the Russian Empire as contributing factors of Belarusian identity.

2017 Apr 21 23:28
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Temnozor's post:
Artturi (22-04-2017), W. R. (22-04-2017)
W. R.
cannibalish chauvinist

Беларусь

(2017 Apr 21 23:28)Temnozor Wrote:  I've met a few people who are, in my opinion, appropriating Lithuanian history to varying degrees.

The correct answer to the question “Who were the immediate ancestors of Belarusians” is “the Slavic-speaking population of the G. D. of L.” (In the same way the Baltic-speaking population of the G. D. of L. were the immediate ancestors of the present-day Lithuanians.)

We are like two bros quarrelling over inheritance of their late parent: “Here are your 5%, give me my rightful 95%!” Something like that. (I condemn this approach.)

(2017 Apr 21 23:28)Temnozor Wrote:  Claiming that Vilnius is a rightfully Belarusian city is a bit over the edge, for example.

At the present day it is probably too late to return to this question, but some people argue only 100 years ago Vilnius was a multicultural (Jewish, Polish, Russian) city with little Lithuanian presence standing on the Belarusian ethnic territory. That is where such claims originate from. See the maps:

[Image: sqjitz.jpg]

[...] just as it is not left unto us to choose our ancestors, so we may not choose our nation; we can only fulfil, or not fulfil, the obligations that come from being a member of our people’.
© Dr. Jan Stankievič ‘From the History of Belarus’

[Image: now.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 2017 Apr 22 09:44 by W. R..)
2017 Apr 22 07:05
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 3 users Like W. R.'s post:
Artturi (22-04-2017), Erwann (22-04-2017), Temnozor (22-04-2017)