Millionaire tells millennials: if you want a house, stop buying avocado toast
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

Australian real estate mogul Tim Gurner advised young people to solve their housing woes by putting their ‘$22 a pop’ toast toward a deposit instead

An Australian millionaire and real estate mogul has advice for millennials struggling to purchase a home: stop buying avocado toast.

Tim Gurner, a luxury property developer in Melbourne responsible for over $3.8bn in projects, is facing heat for comments he made on 60 Minutes in Australia, implying that young people can’t afford to buy property because they’re wasting money on fancy toast and overpriced coffee. (...)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...oast-house

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2017 May 18 05:02
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Aptrgangr's post:
Artturi (18-05-2017)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

RE: Millionaire tells millennials: if you want a house, stop buying avocado toast
Live austere
Have no life
Have no nice things...
...just for a chance to own an overpriced house

Also eating your overpriced toast and assuming all these youngsters are not as rich as you.Hmm...

Or perhaps they'd rather have their cake avocado toast and eat it and just rent.

totalitARYAN
2017 May 18 11:36
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Albion (12-06-2017), Artturi (18-05-2017)
Mustapaita
Tulkoon sota ja veriset vaatteet

Suomi

RE: Millionaire tells millennials: if you want a house, stop buying avocado toast
Is this what white privilege looks like?

"Devil, I am devil." ― Pekka Siitoin
2017 May 18 13:26
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 1 user Likes Mustapaita's post:
Artturi (18-05-2017)
Artturi
Illiberal Arts Professor

Suomi

(2017 May 18 13:26)Mustapaita Wrote:  Is this what white privilege looks like?

Only privileged ones have avocado spread. The rest of us have to make green paste out of our delicious envy.
2017 May 18 14:27
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 4 users Like Artturi's post:
Aptrgangr (19-05-2017), Mustapaita (18-05-2017), Osweo (19-05-2017), Surtr Kvlt (18-05-2017)
Surtr Kvlt
Wulfes-heafod

England

anyone know anybody who has spent $22 on toast? i don't

totalitARYAN
2017 May 18 22:18
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Surtr Kvlt's post:
Albion (12-06-2017), Artturi (19-05-2017)
Osweo

England

My Australian in-laws were talking about this a few weeks ago, actually, this avocado-yuppy thing. I fear my own brother's succumbing to it in some ways. Thing is, there's a lot of young people with good wages living in a place where property is almost impossible to buy, and where simultaneously it's just far too easy to spend money on frivolous things that give a certain degree of short-term pleasure and enjoyment. They go on holidays a lot, flying out to New Zealand, various Australian-owned Pacific islands, and even Hawaii, going on seaplane rides, helicopter trips, buying boats, jet-skis and so on. I feel like from a different era when talking to these people in their early-thirties. "You can't just spend x on things like that!" "Why not?" "You... just CAN'T!" Seems I have odd in-built Pavlovian responses to such things that I can barely even articulate!

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2017 May 19 10:40
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 5 users Like Osweo's post:
Aptrgangr (19-05-2017), Artturi (19-05-2017), Mustapaita (19-05-2017), Temnozor (19-05-2017), W. R. (19-05-2017)
Temnozor
Kornilov did nothing wrong
Supervision

Россия

(2017 May 19 10:40)Osweo Wrote:  My Australian in-laws were talking about this a few weeks ago, actually, this avocado-yuppy thing. I fear my own brother's succumbing to it in some ways. Thing is, there's a lot of young people with good wages living in a place where property is almost impossible to buy, and where simultaneously it's just far too easy to spend money on frivolous things that give a certain degree of short-term pleasure and enjoyment. They go on holidays a lot, flying out to New Zealand, various Australian-owned Pacific islands, and even Hawaii, going on seaplane rides, helicopter trips, buying boats, jet-skis and so on. I feel like from a different era when talking to these people in their early-thirties. "You can't just spend x on things like that!" "Why not?" "You... just CAN'T!" Seems I have odd in-built Pavlovian responses to such things that I can barely even articulate!

I know that feeling to be honest. There are so many new fashioned "consumer options" I barely know about and can't help but find them utterly frivolous. For many people my age they are a normal part of their lifes, though. Feels as if I'm too old for my own generation.

"Whoever says that he "belongs to his time" is only saying that he agrees with the largest number of fools at that moment." - Nicolás Gómez Dávila

[Image: ecc9v9ru.jpg]
2017 May 19 12:55
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 5 users Like Temnozor's post:
Aptrgangr (19-05-2017), Artturi (19-05-2017), Mustapaita (19-05-2017), Osweo (19-05-2017), W. R. (19-05-2017)
Osweo

England

(2017 May 19 12:55)Temnozor Wrote:  "consumer options"
I'm shocked every time I go back to England, even. There are entire aisles in supermarkets full of sauces I'd never even suspected the existence of. I thought that sort of thing was just an American phenomenon, but it's spread, after the customary decade delay. Give me the good old days of a simple choice between "Meat: Standard A" and "Meat: Standard B"!

Sydney is totally Chinese now, though. I'm sure they have all sorts of scams going to ensure they get control of the property market, just as they've come to dominate small retail. The opacity of an alien language is always a great advantage for this sort of thing, particularly when coupled with the existence of community cohesion and ambition in the face of an atomised individualist host population. The Pakis in England have profited well from a similar situation. There's an area just north of the centre, called Chatswood, full of nice suburban gardened properties, that real Australians mock now as "Chats-Wu" for the amount of Chiners who've moved in. Apparently Sydney is worst for this, but you have to leave the mainland entirely to avoid it, and go to Tasmania. No doubt some politician will see this as good cause to fill the island with Somalis or Baluchis at some point though, just as they did with Minnesota.

"And now if a whole nation fell into that? In such a case, I answer, infallibly they will return out of it. For life is no cunningly-devised deception or self deception, it is a great truth that thou art alive, that thou hast desires, necessities: neither can these subsist and satisfy themselves on delusions, but on fact. To fact, depend on it, we shall come back: to such fact, blessed or cursed, as we have wisdom for."
Thomas Carlyle
2017 May 19 18:44
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 6 users Like Osweo's post:
Albion (12-06-2017), Aptrgangr (19-05-2017), Artturi (20-05-2017), Raskolnikov (20-05-2017), Temnozor (20-05-2017), W. R. (19-05-2017)
Albion

England

(2017 May 19 18:44)Osweo Wrote:  
(2017 May 19 12:55)Temnozor Wrote:  "consumer options"
I'm shocked every time I go back to England, even.

Where are you living now Osweo?

And yes, there's a lot of sauces now and all sorts of things have taken off. I've noticed Mexican (or at least Tex-Mex) food has become a thing and more American places like Costco and TGI Friday's are springing up in cities.
Even in the normal supermarkets the weirdest thing is in the ethnic food sections there's like a couple of shelves full of American chocolate, peanut butter and sweets. It's weird because it's not like the Americans are a noticeable minority here, this is even in provincial towns you find these shelves. I think it's more seeing if people want to try them. I did and I was very disappointed with their "super sour" sweets and their "burning hot" chilli crisps, they were very very mild compared to our stuff, wimps.
2017 Jun 12 13:13
Like PostLIKE REPLY
The following 2 users Like Albion's post:
Artturi (13-06-2017), Osweo (12-06-2017)
Osweo

England

(2017 Jun 12 13:13)Albion Wrote:  Where are you living now Osweo?
Hispania these days, though considering a move to some part of the shrinking majority-English parts of the North Country in the next few years. Will probably have to be rural Antrim at this rate... ;)

Thomas Carlyle
2017 Jun 12 14:37
Like PostLIKE REPLY