I Don’t Know Why I Should Care What the Constitution Says
Aptrgangr
Nulla crux, nulla corona
Supervision

Deutschland

If the majority of the country is excluded from ratifying a document it has no binding moral force.

Nathan J. Robinson

When I was in college, I accidentally attended a talk by a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party. I say “accidentally” because I thought it was going to be a talk about the role of religion in society. It was billed as an author event about a book called Away With All Gods, and it was sponsored by the campus humanist society. When I got there, I found that it was not a typical author talk. For one thing, the author was not there. Instead, he had sent a representative. The author, Revolutionary Communist Party Chairman Bob Avakian, was in self-imposed exile in the south of France. An RCP deputy would be giving his book talk on his behalf.

What I remember most about the event is that the RCP representative kept saying “In the book, Bob Avakian writes…” and “Bob Avakian says…” The speaker didn’t say what she thought, she just said what Bob Avakian thought, and he was invoked as an expert on everything. He was never seen, never spoke in his own name, but he was a looming authority in the sky. We were to defer to the wisdom of Chairman Bob. And I remember my chief reaction being: “Why the hell should I care what Bob Avakian thinks?”

It’s the same way I feel about the Founding Fathers.

There are plenty of arguments I find persuasive, or at least worth taking seriously. For example, if someone argues that Policy X will destroy the economy, I tend to take the argument seriously, because, well, if the person is right, that’s a pretty good reason for not doing Policy X. Sometimes, when I see people criticizing left policies, they are arguing that left policies will have bad consequences, and I think those of us on the left need to explain why we do not think our policies will have those bad consequences. But just as often, I see arguments that I don’t have any respect for: (1) that our policies are “politically impossible” and (2) that they’re “unconstitutional.” (...)

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/11/i...ution-says

"The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage."
Thucydides

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” Carl Schurz

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms."
Aristotle

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
2019 Nov 16 20:43
Like PostLIKE REPLY